View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 AM

First... a discogram is necessary to reveal pain generators. We've been around the block a couple of times and a doctor will not remove a disc that causes no pain. I've only heard of a couple discographies that actually caused damage but in most cases, the benefit outweighs the risk.

Second, str8shooter5, I assume that you're serious in not knowing what an ADR is? It is an artificial disc replacement as opposed to an ALIF, which fuses two vertabae together. Your diseased or damaged disc is removed and replaced with a motion preserving device and today, various manufacturers offer several choices of design. If you really don't know what this is, do not commit to the ALIF surgery until you do your homework and can decide for yourself which is better for your specific circumstances. Your doctor may not recommend this for several reasons including those that may be self-serving so educating yourself is very necessary. Now would be a good time to contact Mark. For many of us, it gave us back our lives. You do not have to agree that this procedure is better or will benefit you but you can't make an informed decision without knowing and understanding all your options.

I'm not telling you that you have a bad or incompetent doctor and you may not be a good candidate for an ADR but your not knowing what it is raises questions that can only be answered by a second and/or more opinions, and by doctors that are well versed in both surgeries.

Good luck to all, Dale