View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Hi One and welcome,

So you're on the fence. There's a lot to be said for all your arguments except seeing a chiro. Maybe physical therapy is a better choice. I had a recent conversation with Mark about his cervical issues. He has chosen to postpone his 4 level surgery.

I pointed out that a comment I made with just about all my surgeries is that I wished I had done it 5 years earlier, basically suffering needlessly during that time. I also pointed out that as we age, it takes longer to heal, so the sooner the better.

He sited functionality. He's functioning fine and with an unknown outcome, why chance it.

Back surgery is huge, altering your spine forever. You can't go back and undo it. You choose your doctor carefully, decide on which surgery is best for you, then hope for the best. Putting it off when you're still able to live your life fairly normal makes sense.

So, if you're still functional and, with the help of meds if necessary,n living your life normally, you've probably got time. Post your concerns, read everything you can and if possible, find a doctor who's considered a 'heavy hitter', one who has a lot of experience in ADRs. If he says you're not a candidate for an ADR, then you're surgical decision is easy, minimizing your decision to timing.

I know I didn't clarify anything for you but I think you do have a little time to decide and do more research. by the way, have your tried Neurontin/Lyrica for your nerve pain?

Good luck, Dale