View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Treefrog,

I felt and advised both Maria and Mark to have surgery but they both came back with a quality of life issue. The biggest concern about surgery is there's no going back. While a poor outcome may become better with time or additonal surgery, it also may not. We all have our hopes and desires for a better life but for some, their hopes are never realized. You've read about the 'miracles' of people getting their lives back and going on to lead lives close to the that which they remember. That's what we all want.

I posted a question on ADRsupport, for those considering their surgeries successful, what can't you do?. I was surprised that with one exception, everyone posted some limitations. Personally, I've been left with severe nerve damage in my left leg that causes it's own limitations. I am considered disabled. I cannot stand for a long time, sitting can be difficult if the chair doesn't fit and I still spend a lot of time in my lazyboy. However, I can cook dinner, eat at the table with my family, pick up and play with my grandchildren, paint again, go out with friends and ugh, do laundry. My life is so much better since my surgery that even with my new limitations, I consider my surgery a success. My quality of life has been greatly improved.

So getting back to Maria and Mark... are you satisfied with your quality of life? It is different for everyone and no one has the right to tell you to be satisfied with your pain level because it isn't severe. Does your pain limit your activity level to the point that you're unhappy? That's when you know that you want to do something to improve the quality of your life, or at least attempt to improve it.

Life comes with no guarantees and neither does surgery but sometimes, if you don't go for it, all you get in return is regrets. Should you decide that surgery is in your best interest, please be reasonable about your expectations. Most of us are left with some limitations. 100% has a new meaning. And don't worry about ranting, we've all shared your feelings and putting them into words, trying to make others understand, is difficult.

I wish you good luck, Dale