View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 PM

One,

First me, then you. Even though the American doctor I chose for my surgery was not all that experienced in multi-level ADRs, I so feared going to Germany and the dreaded discogram, that I wouldn't listen to all the advice I received and decided my comfort level was the most important factor. The experience of my surgeon didn't matter. I didn't want to leave this country, period! I had already had a discogram and didn't think I needed another, especially unsedated. Thus my fears made this decision. Ultimately my insurance company made my decision and I went off to Germany, my fears unfounded. My only regret is that I was in so much pain post-op, I was unable to enjoy the sites.

Now you - a decision based on fact is possible. Fact, ADR is motion preserving. ADR complicates previous facet damage. Fact, fusion limits movement but may be you only choice given certain circumstances. Fusing two discs places stress on adjacent segments, possibly leading to further deterioration and is actually contra-indicated for most multi-levels, especially 3 or more.

Next, what are your expectations? Can they be achieved with ADR? Can they be achieved with fusion.

Of the doctors with whom you've consulted, do they all perform ADR? If they don't or aren't very experienced, they're not likely to recommend it. My very respected, highly qualified neuro surgeon never even told me about it. He certainly wouldn't recommend it. If the hospital in which they have privledges frowns upon ADRs, they're not likely to recommend it. What are the reasons your doctors are/not recommending ADR/fusion? If a doctor is well versed in the various remedies available to you, they will be able to give you very specific reasons for recommending as they do. Then, if you decide on ADR, which disc is best for you.

You need to become more informed so you can make the best decision for you and your circumstances. Ask a lot of questions. Now might be a good time to contact Mark.

You will very naturally have doubts regardless of your decision. Making it based on confusion is, in my opinion, not the best way to go.

Dale