View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to tisury
Default 1+2= 3 level ADR

Well, I finally decided that merely existing isn't good enough and being in pain everyday isn't acceptable. I have scheduled surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany for May 22, 2007 (tentative date until reconfirmed in Jan) for a 2 level ADR at L3-4 & L4-5 above my existing one at L5-S1.

I am going to try to make it through one more tax season (loyalty and money), have time to make arrangements, and there is a slim possibility - I may participate in a clinical trial in March (one last shot at postponing such a major surgery) if Dr. B. approves. For those who don't know my story - I had a one level Flexicore ADR done at L5-S1 in Feb. 2004, after many conflicting opinions for 2 yrs. about 3 degenerated levels. Other than some very minor improvements, my pain remained as severe as before surgery and in the same location. Over the last 6 months, my symptoms are getting worse and the pain is even less controllable.

Any tips for planning for the big trip? And what is do-able and a must see while I am over there? Chuck has answered a lot of my questions and I am sure I will have more for you. (Hope I don't drive you nuts). I am very nervous about the trip (the flight and I don't speak any German) and the surgery - but couldn't feel any more confident in my choice of surgeons. If anyone can fix me, I believe it is Dr. B. He does not foresee any problems with the second abdominal approach, which was one of my major concerns - other than using a slightly different approach.

The information and help I have received from many of you on the forums is priceless, so a big thanks to all of you. And Mark, your posts on the different forums and here have provided me with a lot of valuable info. Thanks.

Last edited by tisury; 12-05-2006 at 06:35 AM.