Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss 1+2= 3 level ADR in the Main forums forums; Well, I finally decided that merely existing isn't good enough and being in pain everyday isn't acceptable. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to tisury
Default 1+2= 3 level ADR

Well, I finally decided that merely existing isn't good enough and being in pain everyday isn't acceptable. I have scheduled surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany for May 22, 2007 (tentative date until reconfirmed in Jan) for a 2 level ADR at L3-4 & L4-5 above my existing one at L5-S1.

I am going to try to make it through one more tax season (loyalty and money), have time to make arrangements, and there is a slim possibility - I may participate in a clinical trial in March (one last shot at postponing such a major surgery) if Dr. B. approves. For those who don't know my story - I had a one level Flexicore ADR done at L5-S1 in Feb. 2004, after many conflicting opinions for 2 yrs. about 3 degenerated levels. Other than some very minor improvements, my pain remained as severe as before surgery and in the same location. Over the last 6 months, my symptoms are getting worse and the pain is even less controllable.

Any tips for planning for the big trip? And what is do-able and a must see while I am over there? Chuck has answered a lot of my questions and I am sure I will have more for you. (Hope I don't drive you nuts). I am very nervous about the trip (the flight and I don't speak any German) and the surgery - but couldn't feel any more confident in my choice of surgeons. If anyone can fix me, I believe it is Dr. B. He does not foresee any problems with the second abdominal approach, which was one of my major concerns - other than using a slightly different approach.

The information and help I have received from many of you on the forums is priceless, so a big thanks to all of you. And Mark, your posts on the different forums and here have provided me with a lot of valuable info. Thanks.

Last edited by tisury; 12-05-2006 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:23 PM

I have not had surgery in Germany. However, I spent almost two weeks in Bavaria (southern Germany, where the Alphaklinik is located) in 2002. I had a lot of preconceived notions as to what Germany would be like, and I was very surprised at how different it was from my expectations. Almost everyone spoke some English. People sometimes seemed to eavesdrop when we spoke English in public and would sort of ask permission to join our conversation, especially if we were trying to figure out something that they knew the answer to. People were reserved, but friendly once a conversation took place. The food was delicious, lots of pork and potatoes, and wonderful bakery items. Breakfast was strange, but we solved that by having bakery items and coffee or hot chocolate for breakfast (yes, we both gained about two pounds). Public transportation was excellent and almost all restrooms (one exception was the subway restroom in Munich) were much cleaner and nicer than in the U.S. Bavaria was very clean and orderly. Windows were shiny and even the firewood was stacked neatly. Munich is a big city, but there are lots of small towns which are very picturesque. As for prices, right now the Euro is expensive, but when we went the Euro and the dollar were about equal. Food and lodging were cheaper, but manufactured items were more expensive. One day we bought a box of bandaids and the box cost more than $4.

I am considering having surgery at the Alphaklinik and one of the pluses is going back to Germany.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Congrats

On your decision. I know it's difficult to arrive at one sometimes as I've waxed and waned.. and ultimately here I am feeling actually pretty good the last few months post last ESI nearly 2 months ago. This deluded spine feeling always makes me hesitate..

While I've obviously not had surgery yet, and not in Germany altho Dr.B would be my very first choice, I had visited Germany 2 times in my traveling past, never speaking but a word or two of German yet finding the people there so friendly and gracious to this American traveler.

In fact, the first time I went I was 16. Went with the German Club in High School. Wired my Dad for more $$ so I could live there. Request denied...

Last visit was in the early '90s and more extensive since I was an adult. Speaking less German if that were possible and yet having a great time w/my English/German dictionary~

Again, congrats on your decision, I'd love to be able to travel again at this ripe old age, for surgery there or after a successful one elsewhere (fingers crossed)!

If you are able to get into the clinical trials and have Dr.B's blessings, best of everything that route as well~ keep us posted!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 AM

tisury,

For many of us, going to Germany was the best decision we could have made. Preconceived notions were non-existant. All of Dr. B's staff speak English with the only language barrier being their food, which is a little different... but if you do go to Straubing, by all means, indulge in all the pasties. The care by the nursing staff far exceeds that in any American hospital but there are some differences. You should bring your own meds for both in the hospital and during your recoup since theirs are different. Aside from your immediate post surgical care, which they'll handle just fine, I recommend meeting with your own pm prior to leaving so you'll have everything you'll need, including a very good laxitive. My suggestion is mineral oil but everyone has their favorite.

For your hospital stay, you might also want to bring your own cloths. I was pretty surprised to see patients wearing their own sweats and pjs... but if you're up to it, you'll probably want to leave the hospital for short walks. I'd also recommend a snug fitting cotton undershirt to wear under your brace. It will definitely make it more comfortable.

Their only English tv station is CNN, which you'll probably be sick of by the time you get home, so if you have or can borrow on, you'll make good use of a DVD player and DVDs. If you have a laptop, bring it... you'll be able to access the internet from the hospital and possibly your hotel too. Your atm card will get you the money you need since almost no place takes credit cards. You might want to ask Mark for his Peter the taxi driver contact.

And lastly, I recommend, if at all possible, that you bring Mark. His services were the best investment I made in my back and there are many of us who feel that way.

Most of all, I wish you luck and good fortune,

Dale