View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 AM

tisury,

For many of us, going to Germany was the best decision we could have made. Preconceived notions were non-existant. All of Dr. B's staff speak English with the only language barrier being their food, which is a little different... but if you do go to Straubing, by all means, indulge in all the pasties. The care by the nursing staff far exceeds that in any American hospital but there are some differences. You should bring your own meds for both in the hospital and during your recoup since theirs are different. Aside from your immediate post surgical care, which they'll handle just fine, I recommend meeting with your own pm prior to leaving so you'll have everything you'll need, including a very good laxitive. My suggestion is mineral oil but everyone has their favorite.

For your hospital stay, you might also want to bring your own cloths. I was pretty surprised to see patients wearing their own sweats and pjs... but if you're up to it, you'll probably want to leave the hospital for short walks. I'd also recommend a snug fitting cotton undershirt to wear under your brace. It will definitely make it more comfortable.

Their only English tv station is CNN, which you'll probably be sick of by the time you get home, so if you have or can borrow on, you'll make good use of a DVD player and DVDs. If you have a laptop, bring it... you'll be able to access the internet from the hospital and possibly your hotel too. Your atm card will get you the money you need since almost no place takes credit cards. You might want to ask Mark for his Peter the taxi driver contact.

And lastly, I recommend, if at all possible, that you bring Mark. His services were the best investment I made in my back and there are many of us who feel that way.

Most of all, I wish you luck and good fortune,

Dale