View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 PM

It really has been a rough road getting to this point. When I was told that Fusion or disc replacement surgery was the next step, I didn't really know what to think. I did start the insurance process in May of '08 to get the Pro-disc through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Of course, like many other unfortunate people around the world, my claim was denied. I was about a week away from having fusion in September when Dr. Sachs from Texas Back Institute called me and offered this trial as another option. Before September I had never heard anything about Axiomed and the freedom disc.

The only real problem was the wait. No one knew exactly when this trial was going to start which was extremely frustrating. Everytime I called TBI and the research department, they would always tell me, just hang in a couple of more weeks.

But I do have to say this...... the wait was well worth it. Like I said in my earlier post, all I am really experiancing is surgical pain. I have a little ach in my lower back, but I think thats expected. It's going to take me a while to adjust to getting out of bed and getting back in. I never realized just how many stomach muscles you use to get up and down out of bed.

The cool thing is.... my doctor, Dr. Richard Guyer, cleared me to go back to work a week and a half after my surgery. Thats just amazing! With fusion I possibly would have been out for a month.... but for disc replacement...just a week and a half. Now, I'm a school teacher so there are things that I can get a way with....but still, very amazing!
May 2008 - L5/S1 crumbling disk
Jul. 2008 - L5 - S1 PAINFUL Discogram VAS 10/10
Jan. 2009 - Texas Back Institute - Axiomed Clinical Trial Enrollment
Feb. 2009 - Clinical Trial Surgery - Freedom Lumbar Disc inserted - L5-S1