Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Lumbar L5-S1 (Freedom Lumbar Disc Replacement) - Plano, TX in the Main forums forums; Good morning everyone! This is my very first post on this forum, but I wanted to post a thread about ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:09 PM

Default Lumbar L5-S1 (Freedom Lumbar Disc Replacement) - Plano, TX

Good morning everyone! This is my very first post on this forum, but I wanted to post a thread about the surgery I had this past week and post a progress report.

About a month ago, I was very fortunate to have been enrolled into the new Clinical Trial at Texas Back Institute in Plano, TX. There were a lot of rollercoaster rides getting to that point, but it seems to have been very well worth the wait. The Trial I was enrolled into compared the Pro-disc L to the NEW 2nd Generation Freedom Lumbar disc by Axiomed. I was told that I would have a 50 - 50 chance on getting the Freedom Lumbar disc.

I had been waiting since September of this past year for information about this trial. From TBI pushing back a little, to Axiomed, the disc manufacturer, pushing back the wait was long. I was originally Dr. Barton Sachs's patient, but he left TBI about 2 weeks ago for a new job. Then I was moved over to Dr. Richard Guyer's Patient and he was the one who actually performed the surgery. So there was a little drama before getting to the point of surgery.

I had the surgery at 1:00 PM this past Wednesday, and according to Dr. Guyer, I was his 6th person to have received the Axiomed Disc in the country. I didn't find out what disc I was gettng until they were wheeling me into the surgical room. I received the NEW Freedom Lumbar disc!

It was an overnight stay in the hospital and, OH MY GOSH, the ONLY pain I am experiencing is the surgical pain. Before the disc replacement, I had major pain in my lower right lumbar back area and would be pushing pain around my right hip and sending burning sensations on my right thigh and shin.

I am now home in my own bed and I feel GREAT! Like I said earlier in the post, the only pain I am experiencing is surgical pain. The incision is about 3 inches right under my belly button. I have been getting up pretty well, of course with a brace on.

I will be posting updates on my progress with this disc and often as I have them. I did want to say though that TBI is still recruiting and the TBI staff is wonderful! Cheryl is the research coordinator in charge of the Axiomed trial, so she would be the one to talk to first if you are not a patient of TBI.

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me a message and I will be happy to answer any questions!

Thank You,
Dan
May 2008 - L5/S1 crumbling disk
Jul. 2008 - L5 - S1 PAINFUL Discogram VAS 10/10
Jan. 2009 - Texas Back Institute - Axiomed Clinical Trial Enrollment
Feb. 2009 - Clinical Trial Surgery - Freedom Lumbar Disc inserted - L5-S1
Old 02-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Dan, thanks for posting.

It's funny how many manufacturers have tried to group all the other discs into "first generation". However, the elastomer design of the Freedom disc is a significant departure from the plastic and metal, or all metal ball and socket designs of Charite, ProDisc, Activ-L, Mobidisc, Flexicore, Maverick, etc...

There was an attempt at an elastomer disc called the Acroflex, but back when it was done, they did not have an elastomer compound that was durable enough. I've been watching several new elastomer discs for the last few years at the conferences... I'm so happy to finally meet an elastomer patient.

I look forward to reading of your success!

All the best,

Mark

Axiomed Freedom Disc
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 02-20-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 PM

Dan,

Welcome and what a first post. You're already on the other side. Your story of one night in the hospital is amazing. It sounds like you had a great surgical experience even if the road to get there was a little rocky. I'm very happy for you.

Please remember, as you heal and begin to feel better that taking it slow is the way to go. Important words that some must learn the hard way.

We look forward to hearing updates about your recovery. I wish you the best, Dale
Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 PM

The disc looks interesting in that it may mimic the cushioning effect of our bodies natural discs. How promising. It will be interesting to hear of your continued healing and progression with these new discs.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 PM

It really has been a rough road getting to this point. When I was told that Fusion or disc replacement surgery was the next step, I didn't really know what to think. I did start the insurance process in May of '08 to get the Pro-disc through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Of course, like many other unfortunate people around the world, my claim was denied. I was about a week away from having fusion in September when Dr. Sachs from Texas Back Institute called me and offered this trial as another option. Before September I had never heard anything about Axiomed and the freedom disc.

The only real problem was the wait. No one knew exactly when this trial was going to start which was extremely frustrating. Everytime I called TBI and the research department, they would always tell me, just hang in a couple of more weeks.

But I do have to say this...... the wait was well worth it. Like I said in my earlier post, all I am really experiancing is surgical pain. I have a little ach in my lower back, but I think thats expected. It's going to take me a while to adjust to getting out of bed and getting back in. I never realized just how many stomach muscles you use to get up and down out of bed.

The cool thing is.... my doctor, Dr. Richard Guyer, cleared me to go back to work a week and a half after my surgery. Thats just amazing! With fusion I possibly would have been out for a month.... but for disc replacement...just a week and a half. Now, I'm a school teacher so there are things that I can get a way with....but still, very amazing!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:50 PM

Working a 1 1/2 weeks after surgery, any major surgery? To me, this doesn't sound reasonable even if you do feel up to it. Your body needs time to heal and doing it slowly is the name of this game. I'd double check to make sure he meant sitting or standing all day, etc.

As for getting out of bed, roll over on your side, swing your legs over the edge and using your arms and hands, crawl and push your way up. Are you wearing a brace?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 PM

I know, right? I nearly fell out of the chair when Dr. Guyer told me I could go back a week and a half later. I do have some restrictions though. I cannot sit down for more than 20 minutes at a time and cannot stand for more than 20 minutes. I have to wear the brace and not lift anything over 5 pounds until he clears me. I asked him about work at 2 different times and both times he said the same thing. Very truly amazing if you ask me. He said that since I was young and healthy in every other aspect, he didn't see a problem with it.

Of course, I will not push myself and if I feel that I need to go home, I will do so.

But, you also need to understand too that I do not have a strenuous job. I am teacher at an elementary school. I think it will be ok, but I know when to say stop too.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 AM

take at least 6 weeks your body will need it. and that isnt long at all.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 PM

Ok, so I have to share this.

Dr. Guyer has put me on Hydrocodine for pain since I got out of the hospital last Thursday. I didn't realize just how much pain I have been masking until this morning when I woke up. I have been taking it around the clock every 4 hours. So, I have been setting my alarm at night to wake up when I need to. I took pain killers at 8 PM last night, 12 AM, and was suppose to take them at 4 AM. I must have slept through the alarm at 4 because I woke up at 7:55 am this morning in tears not being able to move at all because of the pain that was radiating from hip to hip and and stomach and back area. LOTS of pain.

Last night, I was also experiencing some twitching from waist down. It just feels like jolts or short bursts of spasms. Yesterday is the first day I actually noticied it. I think I was scaring my wife a little bit as well.

I have actually been very good since I have been out of the hospital. I have only been getting out of bed to use the restroom and take a shower. I don't think I am over doing it at all. Just a little worried about the spasms.

Has anyone else experienced spasms before after ADR surgery?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 PM

i believe muscle spasms are very common after this surgery. Aside my my thigh, whenever I overdo, I still get muscle spasms in my back and of all places, my shin. Your muscles have been though a lot and don't know what's going on. They also tighten up when going into protection mode and they are screaming... what do we do

A good muscle relaxer may help in addition to or as your surgical pain subsides, instead of pain meds.

A little walking may also help rebuild those muscles slowly.

Good luck, Dale
Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Muscle spasms are normal after a surgery that involved cutting through muscle. Your body is healing and, spasms are muscle's nerves firing causing an involuntary response. My stitches used to feel like they were going to rip out I spasm'd so hard after surgery. They also had me on Valium to control the spasms. I agree with everyone else to give yourself time before you go back to work. I am an executive of a large company and basically have a desk job. I went back to work two months to the date of having 4 level ADR Surgery. I would not risk such an awesome gift. Your insurance may not cover any continuing care due to your surgery not being approved to begin with. You cannot afford to mess with a good thing.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004

Last edited by Terry Allen Blackburn; 03-06-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 AM

OK, just wanted to update everyone,

I have somewhat over done it the past 2 days. I have gotten up too much and moved around too much. Right now, I have a little pain in my hip and groin area and my right leg is aching a bit.

So..... All I can say is for the next couple of days I am chained to my bed. I certainly don't want to cause any more nerve damage than what I may already have.

I'll try to post an update as something comes up!

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 AM

We warn and we nag... slow and steady wins the race! But I guess we all need to find out the hard way, too thrilled with our new found freedoms.

Don't let the bumps in the road get you down. Most often, that's all they are.

Good luck, Dale
Old 02-28-2009, 04:14 AM

I'm so happy for you. That's great that you had surgery and got the Freedom Disc. If I would have gotten into the trial, I was hoping for the Freedom Disc as well; sounds like you wanted that one too. Wishing you a super fast recovery. I can't wait to have surgery, I guess that's how you know that you are bad enough for surgery, when you are excited to have it! I honestly can't remember what it is like to be pain free and have energy, I know I used to be that way; but just can't picture it. Praying for many pain free days ahead,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 AM

Default 2 Week Post-Op

Ok,

So I wanted to give an update on my surgery. I had my 2 week post-op today. I am so excited! Everything is going very well. The only 2 issues I am having is the Muscle spasms are pretty intense and I am having a little issue with my bladder and urinating. I think it may be due to having a catheter put in at the hospital. So, I am being referred to a Urologist for further study....

Other than that, I have no more pain in my leg nor in my lower back! I still have restrictions with lifting, but the brace can come off and I can start resuming normal "daily activities."

Dr. Guyer prescribed more Zanaflex for the muscle spasms and Physical Therapy for spine stabilization. And then referring me to a Urologist for the bladder issue.

As of right now, this is by far one of the best decisions I have ever made. I was a little nervous getting something that really hadn't been studied in the US, but OMG, I feel 100% better than what I was feeling before the surgery!

The Freedom Lumbar Disc Rocks!

Dan
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Dan,
It sounds like you Rock! I wish you all the best with your new disc. Hopefully your muscle relaxant will help. I am on that one and it also helps me. Take things slow, overdoing will come to bite you. All the best.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 03-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Sounds like you are doing great. That is awesome news. The zanaflex should help with the muscle spasms. I take one at night for sleep or two if I am hurting badly. I can't take the Viicodin at night, because it makes me hyper and keyed up, then I can't sleep. I take a half of one if I am feeling muscle tightness during the day, that way it doesn't knock me out. Glad you are doing so good, Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Dan,

Sounds like you're doing great. The muscle spasms should subside with time and become less of an issue. Hope other issues resolve themselves too.

Keep up the good work, Dale
Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 AM

It sounds like your recovery is moving in an awesome direction. I hope that you continue in a forward direction.

Hang in there. If you have any problems, let us know and we will help to normalize the experience for you.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004
Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 AM

Dan,

Hello! I'm considering enrolling in the Freedom Lumbar Disc trial at TX Back Institute Plano, and I was wondering how you felt about it 6 months out from surgery. I met with Dr. Guyer, and he recommended disc replacement as his first choice for treatment since I am only 30 and otherwise pretty healthy. My health insurance, also BCBS, does not cover this, as you know, so I'd have to enroll in the clinical trial ...

I hope you are doing well and would love any feedback or advice you have.

Thanks,
Melissa
Old 02-21-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalkema View Post
Ok,

So I wanted to give an update on my surgery. I had my 2 week post-op today. I am so excited! Everything is going very well. The only 2 issues I am having is the Muscle spasms are pretty intense and I am having a little issue with my bladder and urinating. I think it may be due to having a catheter put in at the hospital. So, I am being referred to a Urologist for further study....

Other than that, I have no more pain in my leg nor in my lower back! I still have restrictions with lifting, but the brace can come off and I can start resuming normal "daily activities."

Dr. Guyer prescribed more Zanaflex for the muscle spasms and Physical Therapy for spine stabilization. And then referring me to a Urologist for the bladder issue.

As of right now, this is by far one of the best decisions I have ever made. I was a little nervous getting something that really hadn't been studied in the US, but OMG, I feel 100% better than what I was feeling before the surgery!

The Freedom Lumbar Disc Rocks!

Dan
Hello!
Thank you so much for posting your story! I'm having surgery in the Axiomed trial this Monday and was searching for a little more positivity... it is a bit daunting! So I'll make sure I leave with muscle relaxers as well as pain killers! Would REALLY love to hear from you, if you get this message, about what life is like now... I have a wonderful doctor and participating at Cedars Sinai here in Los Angeles, so I feel that I was blessed by running into this situation.
I'm an athlete and avid horse rider, and my doc is saying he's gotten many athletes back into their sports of choice. He too is saying a short recovery time, but I'm imagining 3 months of being on the safe side.
So all you Freedom Disc folks, please email me asap! And please send sunny positive thoughts to me Monday morning... I'm ready to be pain free and get my capabilities back. Oh yeah!
FPL310
neophyte310@mac.com
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Default First Post - Possible Candidate for Freedom Lumbar Disc vs ProDiscL Study

I found this forum by searching for information on the new Freedom Lumbar Disc. I have a torn disc at L5-S1 and have been dealing with back pain for almost 7 years now. I have tried everything short of surgery to fix my back pain and nothing has worked for very long. I was wondering if you could give me an update as to how your surgery went and which artificial disc you actually received in the study.

This is my first post here. Any follow-up you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:32 AM

Default disc replacement surgery

I was wondering if you would recommend this surgery? Are you pain free and feeling better? My doctor wants to do a disc replacement and I am trying to get more info on the success rate since this is a fairly new procedure. Thanks for your feedback.

Rick
Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 AM

I was wondering if you have found out any information on the disc replacement surgery? If so could you share the information. My doctor wants to do a disc replacement in L5 S1 and I would like to find out the success rate since this is fairly a new procedure. Thanks Rick
Old 05-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum. You asked the million dollar question. Please start a new thread telling us a little about yourself so we know what you're going through.

We're not doctors but speak from the 'been there, done that' point of view.

Look forward to hearing more about your story, Dale
Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 PM

Default New member awaiting ADR surgery on J. une 4th

I'm interested in the surgery and post surgical experience. This is my 3rd surgery on the same disc L5-S1. 1st surgery 6/05 just to remove the bulging portion, I was back to normal quickly, 2nd I went from 4mm to 1cm by 9mm in a week. The surgeon removed some bone spurs and "carved" some room for the sciatic nerve, he noted moderate spinal stenosis 5/09. I've been in pain since then and the last few months, the pain is at an all time high. Surgeon is going use a ceramic prosthetic disc replacement that fuses the bone. Due to the L5-S1 not using as much movement. I'm not sure if this is the best idea, yet I have no disc space left. So....cutting through the abdominal section to get to the spine sounds like it could be a long recovery. Any input is appreciated.