View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 AM

I have read a lot about Dr. Regan on these forums, supposed to be really good. I'm sure more people from CA will chime in with more on him.
I was also in the boat of only being able to do what insurance would pay for. I tried to get coverage; but was denied, appealled and denied again. I then waited for a clinical trial to start with my dr, only to find out that I was disqualified due to litigation. Finally, I found a clinical trial that I wanted to be in and asked people on here about the different surgeons that were doing it. It came down to one in New Jersey and one in Florida, NJ is cold and FL is warm, no brainer there (who said all spine related issues had to be hard?) I tell you all that, to tell you that just because your insurance won't pay and if like me, you don't have the option of paying cash, spending retirement money or taking out a second mortgage; doesn't mean that there isn't another way of getting it done. I don't know if I dreamed this up; but pretty sure, that I have heard of trials doing a two level ADR on someone. I want to say it was done under the 'compassionate use' clause. I am not sure about more than 2 levels though; but it couldn't hurt to check in to. Or, maybe if your insurance will pay for 1 ADR, you could have a hybrid (I think that's what they call it- chime in others if that's the wrong term). That is where you get both a fusion and ADR. From what I have read, it would be like if for instance I had a bad S1/L5 and L5/L4. I could have both fused, have 2 ADRs put in or have one level fused and an ADR put in the other. If that were the case, I would probably fuse S1/L5 and do ADR on L5/L4. Ok, so enough of my pretend scenarios; not like I need 'fake' problems, got enough real ones. Although your MRI makes mine look good. I have never seen anything like that, I have no idea how you have been living with that pain (at least it looks really, really painful).
Anyway, I know that is a lot of what if's; but don't give up.. anything is possible. And if you do feel like giving up, know we have all been there and are here for you.
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!