View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 AM

Smile Two Weeks Until Surgery!

I am so happy, only two weeks until my surgery! I can't wait to get my life back. I was telling my husband last night that I honestly can not clearly remember what it is like to feel good and have energy. It has been a little over 3 years now, which isn't horribly long in the grand scheme of life; but long to be in horrible pain. I was pregnant for the 9 months prior to the wreck (I had a 2 week old baby when it happened), so not like I had tons of energy then... so kinda like 4 years of not having my body. I know that I used to not be like this; but it seems like forever ago. Anyone else feel that way? I daydream about being better and having energy; but can't 'feel it' so to speak. I'm also having those "am I crazy doing this", "is it hurting that bad" and the classic "I think it might be getting better, maybe it's in my head" thoughts. I just keep reminding myself that since I am genuinely excited to go under the knife, something is honestly not right. Don't know anyone who likes to have surgery and here I am counting the days like I'm going to Disneyland!

What do I need to know before surgery? Something nobody told you about? Maybe something you were told about; but didn't believe, or didn't think it would happen to you? Anything I need to have post-surgery? I have a grabber thing on the list and elastic waist band clothes, anything else? Even if it is something that may seem obvious, please share because it may not be obvious to me! Example, after my first child, I had no idea I would need nursing pads. I wasn't going to nurse, so why would I have needed them. Well any of you ladies who have had the joy of having a baby and any of you men who have had the pleasure of being their hubby, know better. Amongst a ton of other stuff I hadn't thought of; but by golly I had every worthless piece of nursery equipment money could buy!

Any tips? Anything at all you want to share? I sound like a counselor with that one.

One last thing, apparently March 17th, the day of surgery is St. Patricks day... that is what everyone keeps telling me when I say it's my surgery day. Think I'll wear a 4 leaf clover thong... give the nurses and dr a good laugh! Ok, here's a funny story.... I had an injection before Christmas one year. Well, that morning I was going to shower before I went. I woke up late and had to just go. I forgot that I was wearing my Christmas undies, that read "Ho Ho Ho" on the back; not in like a nice red or green Christmas color; but bright pink. I can only imagine what the dr thought of that. I was embarassed for months about it. I know they say no one cares or looks at the patients 'private areas'; but come on, we are only human- I know I'd look, morbid curiousity maybe? Anyway, can't beat having surgery on the 'luckiest day' of the year, so long as the surgeon doesn't have any of the green beer prior, I'll be good.

Thanks for all the help,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!

Last edited by Kathy; 03-02-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: spelling