View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 AM

Default Newbie with more problems

Hello to all. Been on a lot of Corvette forums but NEVER one about my health issues so here goes. Am sorry up front if this is too long. Not computer savvy so was unable to give past stats on surgery at the bottom of all my posts.
History: Slipped first disc(s) at age 15. Got worse so Family Doc sent me to get Milogram and films (now 18 1/2). Used the old "oil dye". Found that one maybe two discs were bad in lower back. Removed 2 disc and fused 3 at age 19 in March of 1970.

I will be totally honest and say that working in the family business I did not heed Doc's warnings and did too much too soon. Did not wear brace as long as I should either. Got married in August of '70. I had to stay on pain medication ALWAYS. It turned out that they left some dye in the spinal cord and was always left with severe leg pain (arachnoiditis).
Worked at home on wood doors, brick work, stone work, wrenched on old cars, rode motorcycles, vacatined with the family, always driving, all sorts of things but always in pain but took much Darvon, then Darvocet.

Wife and I raised 4 children until I had severe neck pain from about 1993. Long story short, after much therapy, chiropracters, etc. had three Docs look at MRI's and found 2 severe discs basically touching. Surgery in 1996. 2 discs removed and 3 fused with plate and 4 screws.

Great until about 2002. Severe lower back pain. Chiro's agin, therapy, TENS, needle therapy, you name it.

Again, MRI showed 2 more bad discs above the 1970 surgery. In 2003 removed and fused, put 2 bolts in new surgery, 2 in the 1970 surgery and put rods in. Bent them back to straighten me up.

Great until about Late 2007. Now it's the neck AGAIN! All the therapies as in the past were done to no avail. Also had 4 sessions of neck shots from pain clinic that only lasted 3 days of no pain. Then went to nexts step of Epidural shots TWICE. They only lasted one week each time pain free.

Very lucky I have my own business with my brother as a partner and 3 of my oldest working at the shop. Only worked about 1 to 1 1/2 days a week in the last 4 to 5 months. Pain is 24 hours a day unless the meds are working. Finally got a patch yesterday and it's a little strong so I'll ask for a lower dose tomorrow.

Had MRI Monday (3-9) showing 2 discs above 1996 surgery are bad. Getting an opinion from the surgeon who did the '96 and '03 surgery on April 15th. Going to Rush in Chicago for another opinion.
Done now. Wondering with all of the "old methods" of fusion, removal, etc., is it time perhaps for "Dynesys" type IF I have to have surgery?
I am so sorry for the long post, folks. I have ALWAYS done things myself and at age 58, I am just losing it not being able to work, go target shooting, work on cars, all that is gone now. Please, if there are any suggestions I would be VERY greatful.

Take care all,
Fran