Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Newbie with more problems in the Main forums forums; Hello to all. Been on a lot of Corvette forums but NEVER one about my health issues so here goes. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 AM

Default Newbie with more problems

Hello to all. Been on a lot of Corvette forums but NEVER one about my health issues so here goes. Am sorry up front if this is too long. Not computer savvy so was unable to give past stats on surgery at the bottom of all my posts.
History: Slipped first disc(s) at age 15. Got worse so Family Doc sent me to get Milogram and films (now 18 1/2). Used the old "oil dye". Found that one maybe two discs were bad in lower back. Removed 2 disc and fused 3 at age 19 in March of 1970.

I will be totally honest and say that working in the family business I did not heed Doc's warnings and did too much too soon. Did not wear brace as long as I should either. Got married in August of '70. I had to stay on pain medication ALWAYS. It turned out that they left some dye in the spinal cord and was always left with severe leg pain (arachnoiditis).
Worked at home on wood doors, brick work, stone work, wrenched on old cars, rode motorcycles, vacatined with the family, always driving, all sorts of things but always in pain but took much Darvon, then Darvocet.

Wife and I raised 4 children until I had severe neck pain from about 1993. Long story short, after much therapy, chiropracters, etc. had three Docs look at MRI's and found 2 severe discs basically touching. Surgery in 1996. 2 discs removed and 3 fused with plate and 4 screws.

Great until about 2002. Severe lower back pain. Chiro's agin, therapy, TENS, needle therapy, you name it.

Again, MRI showed 2 more bad discs above the 1970 surgery. In 2003 removed and fused, put 2 bolts in new surgery, 2 in the 1970 surgery and put rods in. Bent them back to straighten me up.

Great until about Late 2007. Now it's the neck AGAIN! All the therapies as in the past were done to no avail. Also had 4 sessions of neck shots from pain clinic that only lasted 3 days of no pain. Then went to nexts step of Epidural shots TWICE. They only lasted one week each time pain free.

Very lucky I have my own business with my brother as a partner and 3 of my oldest working at the shop. Only worked about 1 to 1 1/2 days a week in the last 4 to 5 months. Pain is 24 hours a day unless the meds are working. Finally got a patch yesterday and it's a little strong so I'll ask for a lower dose tomorrow.

Had MRI Monday (3-9) showing 2 discs above 1996 surgery are bad. Getting an opinion from the surgeon who did the '96 and '03 surgery on April 15th. Going to Rush in Chicago for another opinion.
Done now. Wondering with all of the "old methods" of fusion, removal, etc., is it time perhaps for "Dynesys" type IF I have to have surgery?
I am so sorry for the long post, folks. I have ALWAYS done things myself and at age 58, I am just losing it not being able to work, go target shooting, work on cars, all that is gone now. Please, if there are any suggestions I would be VERY greatful.

Take care all,
Fran
Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Smile Welcome

Hi Fran

I am Looking for a 69 corvett

I hope you can find some pain relief soon.

Their is lots of great information on this site and people will chime in to suggest solutions.

Welcome

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM

Hi Fran and welcome.

You've had a long history of back pain/problems and have been through several surgeries. Unfortunately, fusing discs actually promotes further degeneration as you've already experienced. You've already tried the lesser invasive remedies and it might be time again for more surgery but which one?

You might try calling Mark GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR. He's a spine patient advocate and can facilitate consultations with the best doctors all over the world.

However, another consideration is insurance. Depending on your circumstances (and fight), they might have the final word.

Good luck to you, Dale
Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you were pretty lucky to retain such a high functioning lifestyle for so long after a history that starts with multi-level fusion in 1970. I'm so sorry that you've had such a long litany of surgeries and have experienced so much 'domino effect'.

There are many options available, some that cannot be considered by your local surgeons. Please take your time and discover all your options before pulling the trigger... you can only go to the well so many times... there is a law of diminishing returns on spine surgery.

Good luck... all the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-19-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Denis View Post
Hi Fran

I am Looking for a 69 corvett

I hope you can find some pain relief soon.

Their is lots of great information on this site and people will chime in to suggest solutions.

Welcome

Gil
Gil,
Thanks much for the thoughts. I just went on the site last night while looking up more information on what the problem is now when I saw the sight and signed up. I sure wish I had this sight in the '90's!!!
In reading of your past work on you back and neck I see some similarities that I have read on my latest MRI report. What a small world! Good luck first and foremost with your spinal issues and on a lighter side Good luck finding one of the best years Corvette ever had, 1969! I just sold (in late 2007) a fully restored '69 Dodge Hemi Charger w/4 speed, regular steering and regular brakes that I had for 12 years!!!! I could not drive it anymore. Real bummer!
Thanks again, God Speed, and take care!
Fran Foderaro
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshobbies View Post
Hi Fran and welcome.

You've had a long history of back pain/problems and have been through several surgeries. Unfortunately, fusing discs actually promotes further degeneration as you've already experienced. You've already tried the lesser invasive remedies and it might be time again for more surgery but which one?

You might try calling Mark GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR. He's a spine patient advocate and can facilitate consultations with the best doctors all over the world.

However, another consideration is insurance. Depending on your circumstances (and fight), they might have the final word.

Good luck to you, Dale
Dale,
Thanks for the info, I will definately look into it. And you are RIGHT ON as far as fusion only bringing on future issues due to rigidity. That being said I have always had my eyes wide open and first tried many other remedies. Good news is that now with SO much info available than ever, I can look further into alternatives, which is what I'm doing now.
The patch I started at 8:30 a.m. Chicago time yesterday did not wotk. After about 7 hours I got dizzier and dizzier, until I had no further choice but to remove it. I vomited then and am back on the old stuff till I talk to Doc again tomorrow (he was out today). I talked to the Fentanyl Hot Line and they said about 25% of people using the drug get sick. I am going to ask Doc if I can try one more time with lower mcg/h (had started with 75 mcg/h).
Don't laugh about this one!!! I had 5 children by 1993 Must have been the meds LOL.
Good luck Dale and again, thanks for the information. I want to try my best to get something other than fusion IF it turns out that I need it.
Take care, God Speed!
Best Regards,
Fran F.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
Sounds like you were pretty lucky to retain such a high functioning lifestyle for so long after a history that starts with multi-level fusion in 1970. I'm so sorry that you've had such a long litany of surgeries and have experienced so much 'domino effect'.

There are many options available, some that cannot be considered by your local surgeons. Please take your time and discover all your options before pulling the trigger... you can only go to the well so many times... there is a law of diminishing returns on spine surgery.

Good luck... all the best,

Mark
Mark,
First I want to say Thank You. In reading your stats, I believe that you have been so inspurational and helpful to many guys and gals out there from starting this Forum.
Yes, I have been fortunate to have a very understanding Family doctor who taught me how to lower pain dosages after many years of use (Davon 100, 1970-1982 or so, Darvocet n100, '82- about 95, Ultram 50mg, from 95 to pesent) . He taught me if you will, the phychological method of pain tolerance which allowed me to be very productive in between my surgeries. He has been so helpful and caring and it's with his guidance that I have gotten through a lot of this. The only thing is I wished I would have looked further into other methods, but as I said before, I tried MANY, MANY therapies before going to the knife. It's just that the old Bod can't put up with medication like it used to and it's getting depressing having a grown family, 2 grandchildren and not be able to do what I know I can. I am so thankful for a very living and caring family as well. Without that I do not believe I would have cared as much. However, good news is ALWAYS present and that is I am following yours and others direction on FULLY investigating other alternatives. In the end it will all work out. It's just gettin' there that's a pain in the a$$.
Thanks much for your encouragement and need I say... Take care of yourself as well!!!
God Speed, Talk to you soon!
Best Regards,
Fran F.