View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 PM

Bob,

I understand your anger and am very sorry the timing of Mark's post scared your wife. I don't think I would have reacted differently. But, and it's a big one, you are reading Mark very wrong.

Though Mark has to make a living, he doesn't do what he does for the money. There isn't enough time in the day for him to hold down a 'normal' job and still be the patient advocate he has become. He helps people because he wants to but altruism does not pay the bills. The fees he charges are quite reasonable and affordable by most. Choices to use and/or which services to use are completely up to any individual. I have often posted that Mark was my best investment into my back and he made my journey so much easier. I had spent two years walking in circles until I found him and then, voila, my surgery was scheduled. If you want to go it alone, you still have his support as well as those on this and other forums.

In a recent phone conversation I had with Mark, I asked how to educate 'newbies' about Stenum's history. This post may (or not) be a result of that conversation.

This is a right to know issue. Stenum rang their own bell too many times, however in the past, to ignore this history. If any individual feels corrective measures have been in place for four or more years, they also have the right to choose this hospital for their ONE shot at getting better. As posted often, it's your body and you have the final word. BUT you also have the right to know all the facts and make that determination for yourself. One scenario goes as follows;

You go to Stenum for back surgery which ultimately is unsuccessful. This happens even with the best surgeon and care. You come to discover their history and the first thing that comes to your mind is, 'Why didn't anyone tell me'. Well for anyone currently posting or reading this forum, he told them and showed them, nothing more, nothing less. Just as you have a right to your opinion, so does he. I understand because of what he’s done, how much of it and for how long, his opinion will generally carry more weight. This does not minimize your opinion and/or choice.

History is hard to live down and you have to prove yourself over and over again. It's the price you must pay for doing something wrong in the first place. Once a child lies, their truthfulness is always doubted.
Bob, you made your choice, you’re happy with it and your surgery went well. I couldn’t be happier for you. In fact, even though we don’t know each other, I’m thrilled that your suffering days are over. A life of pain is no way to live. I wish you and your wife nothing but the best life possible but Mark is one of the good guys. He has no agenda to push other than don’t waste your one chance. Educate yourself.

Dale