View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 10:53 PM

Happy Holidays to all!

No, I don't think I'm depressed, I do believe I'm disappointed and angry though. Despite too many medications, I have regained my interests in those things I didn't want to do for several years. I just have to do them at a slower pace. I can pick up and play with my grandchildren (did I tell you I have a new one, 5 months old now) for which I am beyond grateful.

The question is, how to you warn someone of possible complications when they're looking and hoping for 'the' miracle cure? Of course there are side effects, though I wasn't quite aware of this severe nerve damage and thought it would be fleeting at it's worst. However, despite these warnings, no one really thinks that they will succumb to anything other than an annoyance that will disappear with either a short amount of time or pt.

I had a 3 level adr and was warned that with 2 previous surgeries and scar tissue, my weight and 3 levels, my chances for a successful outcome were not as good as others who were 1 level and no other baggage... yet I was still too hopeful to be warned away. I was hoping for the miracle and I got it. My back pain is now muscular and with my pt should disappear entirely albeit a slow process since I'm still limited. Now I'm still hoping for another miracle in that the nerves that were severely irritated during my surgery will still regenerate, even though I'm 14 months post-op.

So back to the question, can you warn someone about post surgical depression? Sure, but I doubt it will sink in. Everyone enters this surgical arena hoping for that miracle. Telling someone it might not happen when they already know that... after their doctor has told them that he thinks they're a good candidate???

Side note: Mark, this is why a database is so important. When adr candidates can see in black and white, in percentages rating satisfaction rates, not the successes as doctors see them of which I'm one, they're decision is far more informed. OK, I've kicked this dead horse enough.

Dale