View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 PM

My father quite smoking when he had a heart attack and subsequent by-pass surgery, 100% attributable to smoking. However, my mother didn't quit until x-rays revealed a mass in her lungs. No, it wasn't cancer but what a scare. Until the biopsy came back, the whole family was calling to say good-bye. What a wake-up call. BTW, my mother has such poor circulation in her legs, she can hardly walk anymore, also because of smoking.

You always think nothing will happen to you until it does. I've had 2 friends who died from smoking, 1 heart attack, 1 lung cancer. My grandfather died from lung cancer, my other grandfather - a heart attack. I know 2 people that carry oxygen around with them. One has emphazema, a horrible disease because your mind stays sharp until your last breath. Your last months, weeks, days, hours are filled with regret.

I'm pretty sure my asthma (and my brother') is attributable to the second hand smoke we had to put up with for 20 years.

You know all of the above but when it's personal, it's more likely to sink in. Truth be told, you can be an alive bitch or nice... and dead!

Sorry, my opinion is quite tainted.