View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 AM

Default Something SO simple............

Hi there!!

Well, last night when I was putting my daughter to bed and I bent over to kiss her on the forehead, she put her arms around me and pulled me towards her, next thing you know, I felt the WORST pain I have EVER felt in my life (and I have had a baby)it dropped me to my knees and literally could not get up. THANKFULLY, I had a friend over so he was able to help me move-which wasn't an easy thing to do.

I did make my way out to the couch HOPING that I would be able to just rest and it would go away, Boy was I WRONG!! The pain became unbearable and all I could do was cry, my friend kept telling me that he was going to take me to the ER and I told him NO!! Well, needless to say, HE WON!!

SO, I went to the ER, after waiting a few minutes they took me right in, I guess the fact that my heartrate was in the 160's might have told them that I was hurting (and the fact that I was CRYING!!)

Make a long story short, they pumped me full of drugs, man do they ever make a difference...I brought the copy of my MRI report with me & the doctor looked at the MRI on the computer, he told me he was worried that the disc at the L5-S1 level might have (i can't remember the word he said, DARN!!) anyways basically he thinks that it has become more damaged or caused more damage. I have absent reflexes in my ankles and the power on my left side was weak (if that makes sense, ugh, you almost need a medical degree just to know what is going on with your own situation).

He kept me there until he was satisfied with the pain control, then gave me a prescription for Oxycocet and Baclofen (not sure what they are used for, I ASSUME pain control). Then GET THIS!! Apparently, there is a Nurosurgeon (*sp) that comes to the hospital here on Tuesdays to see patient's. The hospital that he works out of is about an hour drive from here so he comes and sees the patients here who are in need of that type of doctor. The ER doctor said that he was going to talk to the nuro doctor to see if he would be able to get me an appointment to see him SOON because of how concerned he was with my situation. I got the call today, I have an appointment on Tuesday @ 9:30am.

I don't really know what to say about all this, I am still in alot of pain, it feels like a constant shock going down my leg and going from standing to sitting or sitting to standing is KILLER!!! I NEVER imagined anyone could EVER been in pain like this DAMN it's not a joke!!

However, once I take the meds BAM, I am out like a light, how do people function on these things??

I just wanted to share this story with everyone, and to say THANK YOU for all the support and compasion. It is amazing how things work out sometimes, something that seems SO SIMPLE can completely change everything in a matter of minutes.....at least I had a doctor who knew his stuff (or at least seemed like he did) and took me seriously.

Note to self, bending forward when you have a back injury is not a wise thing to do.....

Will keep you posted!!
Mary