Thread: DIAM vs ADR
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Katie,
You can post your images here. There is an option on your user cp, to have a photo album, where you can have images, photos, whatever, for other users to see. You can also post the image on the thread.

It sounds like you are doing all the 'correct' stuff. That is great that both surgeons do ADR and DIAM, that should help you get a more un-biased opinion. Although, since they had differing opinions, that isn't a great helper. From what I have heard, Dr. B is a great resource for a 3rd opinion. I have no idea if they just do ADR; as I don't think I have heard of anyone having anything besides ADR (I'm sure Terry and Bob can clue you in more, as I don't know). Everything Mark said is over my head! I do understand that ADR won't help you if you aren't having disc pain or more than one pain source. I thought of something important on the facet arthritis too. I was told, by all the surgeons I cosulted, that since I had had facet injections and did not get any relief from them, that my facets shouldn't be an issue. Basically, that the injections can be a 'diagnostic' tool, like a discogram. I would also have a discogram, if I were you, prior to any surgery. That way you know if you are having disc pain, or not. As long as you do your homework and make an informed decision, you will be happy with your choice... no regrets.

A 0% chance, you say? LMAO At least you put in a great appeal, hopefully they will approve you. I did the same thing when I appealed my insurance; but think I had a negative chance. I have never heard of a single person getting the same insurance that I have to pay. At least you are fortunate enough to have the option to go elsewhere. I know that it's a lot of money, that you don't want to spend (who does?) But it's there as a back up plan. Oh, and here is the clinical trial link: Home - ClinicalTrials.gov Pick, search for clinical trials, then enter keywords, such as DIAM or ADR. I have found that if you put in more than a word or two, it yields no results. I think it didn't even bring much back for ADR, so I put in spine. Or lumbar, cervical, thoracic. Then you have to go through all the results, the key is to look at the treatment. It will either say, medication, surgery, procedure, etc. That helped me to scan through quicker, as I only read the surgery ones. You can then click on ones that sound interesting, find out the objective, what the control is (what they are comparing the 'experimental device' to), the inclusion and exclusion criteria, where the trial is being done (this is usually multiple locations across the US; but sometime in the early stages of a trial or for whatever reason, the trial may not even be in the US. I have seen trials in France and Germany, that were FDA trials. Not sure why this is?)

You are doing a great job of researching and it is going to pay off for you! You are well on your way to surgery and pain free days! Give yourself a pat on the back (or if pain makes that impossible, make your husband give you one ).
Best Wishes,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!