View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 AM

Default 1-11-2009

A broken record...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, I know, I have told people the same on this forum...take it slow and easy.
The slow ones win the race, be patient, etc...

I am laying down, icing my back every 30 minutes or so, even taking the dreaded pain meds, just to get through this the right way.

I have resisted the pile of dirty laundry and just letting the steroid take effect, if it will.

You know at first, it really seemed like six months after surgery was a long time to wait for recovery, then I started hearing that a year, 18 months to 2 years was more likely.
I do understand.
I only pushed for the facet injections because I have had the four months of sciatica. Eventually, I think they will find the source of my pain and things will pan out.

I am being cautious now because I know I reacted strongly to previous injections and that is just the way my body works.
The doc put Betamethasone in the facets so I hope that will calm things down. I like to be in control and i am not in control anymore. I wouldn't call myself a control freak but I am particular about my health.
I don't let the docs do anything without really thinking about the pros and cons, first.

I have a good feeling this pain doc knows what he is doing and he is well-qualified. This puts a new slant on the idea of being patient.
May 2009 be a better year than 2008. We lost our cat on Jan 9. So it hasn't started with a bang or maybe it did, because our neighbors let off a M-100 on New Year's Day.
I keep thinking about what has happened in 2008 and before and there are a lot of positive things. I have spent more time with my children since i have been unable to work, my daughters and I have had some incredible experiences. I would not like to go through surgery again, but i did get the experience of undergoing a major surgery and dealing with a complication, which will serve me well when I deal with people in the future.

There are a lot of positives, I have made a lot of "spiney" friends and I hope I have helped people.
I think the only way for people to understand back pain is to undergo what we go against day to day.
I feel fortunate that I don't have the same kind of back pain I had before surgery.
I know this is not a killer disease, like cancer, and through my travels, I have met a cancer survivor who is still fighting this awful disease, a mother who lost her daughter, helped a friend in her journey to get more people registered as bone marrow donors, so people can be saved, and gotten an e-mail that a boy that fought his insurance company and won, lost his battle for his life.

So this isn't the end, it is more like a journey and patience has to be what I practice. I also preach it. "Easy does it".

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 08:43 PM.