View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Hi Phylly and Paul,

Hey guess what? I had my post all about finished and then i accidentally deleted it. Didn't push the delete button but somehow, I push some stupid button on the laptop and into thin air my words went.

I only have one problem with my pain doc--ha ha--and that is the P.A. I didn't know that she wasn't in on Tuesdays, so now I know. I will not be seeing her if I can help it. She suggested I take the Gabapentin in 900 mg divided doses twice a day. But i told her when I oversleep and take two when i wake up, it doesn't seem to be any more effective so taking them that way is not needed. I think because I am a smart person, I can handle taking meds in divided doses (She asked me to tell her when I took them), plus my surgeon told me to take them six times a day. I do think it is more effective as the medication is spread out over time.
She also suggested Lyrica, but I told her I went over this with Dr and his office staff, who have not gotten my insuranceto pay for Lyrica for any of their patients. The main problem with Gabapentin is it makes me sleepy but Lyrica is known to do the same. She said they had gotten Lyrica for some patients with it. I seriously doubt that unless they had the Plantium kind.

I did try the Flector (diclofenac epolamine) topical patch but i doubt it will help what feels like discogenic pain. It may help with the muscles but who knows, I am giving it a try. The problem is this chick can not relate to the pain I am in. Holy cow, this can really hurt. I don't think she understands that kind of pain and throwing meds at a problem instead of finding a solution is not going to help. I am of the opinion that she is a dimwit. She asked me to refresh her mind if I had had an MRI. How many times did we go over that since I started seeing the pain doc in January? Read the H & P, lady.

I am of the opinion that the pain doc is very good. Before, he explained things to me clearly and answered all my questions. I just expected to see him last week, so I could see if he wanted the test and see if I could get it scheduled next week when it is spring break and I have less of a babysitting problem. I believe the epidurals helped a little and do not regret doing them. They are a pain, but as you know, insurance looks at conservative care carefully. You have to show you have done everything you can before you even think of surgery.

As for Dr., he hasn't seen me for three months, but he has never downplayed any pain I am in or my symptoms. I also don't believe the pain doc has to ask Dr. permission to do a test. The pain doc may want to defer to Dr. , however. I get the impression they are collaborative.

So Thursday, I get to see Dr. and can tell him how I have been doing. Don't worry, I won't be put off. I will get answers.
This is my 13-month postop appt. So that means I am getting x-rays before. I wish doctors could just look at x-rays and tell what is wrong with your back. Wouldn't that be easier.
I was speaking with my husband last night to talk to him about where my back looks to be heading. I guess i will just have to cross that path when the time comes.

What are you going to do Paul if your discogram is positive? Have another ADR, fusion, do nothing???
Sometimes surgery can make things worse--I know that and I hope you know that too. I have felt this in my gut for sometime that things are not right. I kind of hope I am wrong...i.e. go on the idea that it takes more than 12 months for healing and such. I am almost back to the point where I was when i first scheduled surgery. This is having a big impact on my life, again.

So today, I am resting. Both my feet are numb and burning as I lay on my bed, typing but the back pain is better than yesterday. I am pretty much taking the pain pills all day and the sciatica comes and goes as the Gabapentin wears off. Two hours into my last dose and my butt hurts and my right leg hurts (that reminds me i have to tell the doc about the little toe shocks I have been experiencing on and off). I know that the nerves are pissed off but I still cannot get my mind around the fact that a little bulge can do this.

Paul and Phylly, i did come across some info that may or may not be helpful towards understanding our backs. There is a site with a question and answer format on back questions.
it says in part, regarding, bulging discs: "Bulging discs are never normal. They represent degeneration of the disc with some softening of the annular tension. You can have a bulging disc, however, which is not causing any symptoms."
Dr. Kenneth Pettine of Colorado, another well known doc, says this: "The answer is a resounding yes. Studies have shown that 50% of people over the age of 50 have bulging discs at multiple levels in their spine, but never report any symptoms other than the occasional backache following strenuous exercise."

Dr. Christopher Urban of Maryland says, "As intervertebral discs age, they undergo degenerative changes that cause "bulging". In most cases, bulging discs are considered normal because they do not cause symptoms. Many people are unaware that they have bulging discs. In some situations, such as spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease, a bulging disc may produce back or leg pain. It is essential to correlate a patient's medical history, physical examination and imaging studies (MRI) to determine whether or not a "bulging disc" is actually normal."

The docs on there are all well-known docs but they don't even agree about bulging discs. That is the problem there is no consensus among the docs about the different back problems and that is why patients get so confused!

I have more than one bulging disc in my lumbar spine, but I doubt that all of them are causing pain.
Those little buggers...

Paul, so the disco is this week? Ready for it?
I am at the point where I welcome something else. Must be crazy, huh?
Well, that is it for now.

Last edited by runner; 06-10-2009 at 05:23 AM.