View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Default hello again

Terry,

Thanks. It is weird having an increase of back pain. I went to church today and spent the rest of the day recovering from sitting. I didn't feel like doing much of anything and eventually went to my bedroom to sleep and slept for five hours, I think.
It is easy to sleep, being on Gabapentin and Darvocet. Plus I stayed up late on Saturday night, might have something to do with being tired.

I don't really know why my back pain is increasing. I am wondering if I further herniated a disc or this is just degenerative disc disease. It is different pain then what I felt before my operation. The sciatica is a lot worse and really hasn't changed since my three ESIs. I don't think it is L4/5 because my symptoms are all L5/S1. So I will wait to see what the docs say this coming week.

I am watching Oprah (of course) and Michael J. Fox who has Parkinsons disease and Dr. Oz and i feel lucky just to have back pain. There are worse things but I feel kind of like that wrestling with this back and leg pain. They were talking on the show about stem cells and fighting disease and hopefully, stem cells may one day help DDD.

I found out some interesting things at the seminar i attended last week. One of the lectures was about spine and peripheral nerve injury and there is a material that has been developed to span nerves. It is complicated, sort of, but this material allows axons to reconnect. The lecturer said that they can use the material in a lumbar laminectomy. She said doctors are using it to wrap irritated nerves and the nerves like to be wrapped as this material helps nerves heal. I may have this a little mixed up because the notes are not very complete. But I think this material was originally developed to help burned skin heal.

Boy, i thought if people are having posterior fusions, I wonder if the doctors are using this to wrap those nerves and help them heal. If you can use it in laminectomies, why not fusions?

Hopefully, there are more therapies in the future for DDD that don't involve surgery.

Maria, I have given up trying to figure out insurances. They are a powerful company that doesn't seem to mind sticking me and others with outrageous bills. If my current doctors and surgical centers didn't accept the provided amount and adjust for it, we would probably be broke. We have to be easily paying more than 500 dollars a month for stuff. My husband said my medications are about 400 dollars alone. I think it varies. I could save some dollars but I don't take the generic for my Zestril, blood pressure medicine, as the brand works and I don't want to fool around with it. I was trying to explain to my husband today how generics can vary.
I just keep getting medical bills and evidence of benefits statements from insurance.

I know one thing, back pain has totally changed my life and I don't think it is for the better but eventually maybe i will.

Last edited by runner; 06-10-2009 at 05:30 AM.