View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Justin,
I'm not on here for a couple of days and you get a surgery date! I was bummed when my surgery was scheduled 6 weeks out; but it went really quick. I stayed busy trying to get all the loose ends tied up, making arrangements and all the preperation. My doctor also had a spine conference of some type and went on vacation. So, I also got the refreshed version and it seems to have worked out for me. I'm sure it will work out for you too.

I know how it feels being the 'young one' in the dr's office. Sometimes you get the people who stare, like yo must be in the wrong place. It's almost like you don't qualify for 'real back pain' because you are too young. My family has even said stuff like, just wait till you get older, then you will know pain or is it really that bad. I have even explained to them that eventually this can lead to major problems (bowel/bladder issues), yet it is like talking to a wall. It's like if I'm not laying around moaning, groaning and complaining; I must not hurt that bad (the miracles of drugs). I have tried to explain to them, that I function, because I must. I don't have a choice whether I get up and care for my children or not, that's my job. That I push through the pain and make myself do certain things that are non-negotiable and if I had the option, I probably would lay on the couch and moan all day. I have also tried to explain that while pain meds do help, there is always some level of pain in my body at all times, that the medication just 'takes the edge off'. I tell people now, that I realize I just thought that I knew what back pain was, prior to having real back pain.
I can't fathom being in pain for as long as you have and starting so young. I was injured at 25 and felt the young stigma, so 14 must be un-real. I just turned 29 last month (had surgery right after my birthday, told my surgeon he was giving me my life back for my birthday... no pressure) I plan to feel better and enjoy my 30's way more than my 20's and I will pray for the same for you! On a side note, don't you remember when 30 seemed like a dinosaur? Now, we are looking down it's throat! BTW0- Were you class of 98? That was mine, just curious. Incidentally, I don't think 30, 40, 50, or 60 is old. (and I know 70 year olds that are more active than me, my father in law is 76 and is way more active than me.)

Here's to our 30's being AWESOME!
God Bless and I am praying for you and your wife,
Kathy

Ps. Is your wife going with you?
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!