View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:05 PM

Willie,

I don't know if you remember me but while knee deep in the rocky road of spinal remedies and ready to head off to Stenum because they came up first on my google search, you took time to tell me your story, and others, and steer me to Mark. I don't even remember the forum where I first posted but you were there and began my education. I am forever grateful and thank you for sharing your story once again.

You minimized the horror of your story. Those who don't realize that your very life was at great risk also don't understand why we feel the need to warn others about Stenum's history. Your suffering lay at the hands of your trusted surgeon and he betrayed that trust. Once trust is broken, it can take a long time to rebuild it, if ever. And for those who feel we are bashing a good doctor or hospital, that trust has yet to be rebuilt. Our only understanding of someone choosing Stenum is that they don't know what we know. If you and others didn't help educate me, today I might be one of their hidden statistics, excusing my failure as a difficult case that no one else would take. If posting on this or other forums, I feel it is now my responsibility to pass on this knowledge so others can also decide for themselves with a more complete knowledge base. I'm sorry if this hurts others but knowledge is power, both good and bad.

For those successes at Stenum, I'm truly happy for you. I just don't understand why, if going all the way to Germany, anyone wouldn't put their spines in the capable hands of those surgeons considered the best in the world, Dr. Zeegers (not practicing at the moment) and Dr. Bertagnoli.

BTW, I read an article about cardiac surgeons in the paper this morning and a new success rate transparancy. It said the transparancy wasn't important for separating the great doctors from the good but for weeding out the bad.

I am not any kind of expert in anything medical. I hope Stenum has improved their surgical techniques and skill but that is something everyone must decide for themselves, with as full a knowledge base as is possible.

Thanks Willie, Dale