View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Gil,

The ineveitable crossroads has hit you as it has most. What, who and when is a big question.

Who is your first decision. Any doctor who performs ADRs also does fusion. The converse is not true and opinions of doctors who do not perform both surgeries is likely to be tainted. Three opinions from doctors doing both will give you a better of idea of what needs to be done and when. The skill of your surgeon has a direct bearing on the success of your surgery.

What, if the disc is almost gone, and ADR may not be possible. Again, the skill of your surgeon is the important decision is determining what. However, the longer you wait, you may limit your your choices.

When, when you've had enough. When functioning on a daily basis becomes difficult. When the pain rules your life. Keep in mind that nerve damage is tricky. Will it heal, will it eventually go away?

Personally speaking... I'd get opinions from the known heavy hitters and do the surgery sooner rather than later because I have permanant nerve damage. Others feel living on meds is better than taking the chance that surgery will be successful. Since you have to live with all consequences, this must be your choice, however difficult, which is why we say, educate yourself till the cows come home - and then some.

Good luck, I know it's tough, Dale