View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Hi Jess and welcome to the forum,

Perhaps different details but we've heard and experienced your story before. I'm sorry you're in pain and suffering. Long story short, Dr. B is the best and it will be a miracle in itself if you get any insurance company to pay for it, especially overseas. To the best of my knowledge, only a handful of people have been successful with their insurance companies in the U.S. and even less outside our borders. BC/BS is one of the worst, leading you into believing all the appeals will work. I think it was this insurance company that actually approved this surgery several years ago for a forum member and after the fact, claimed it was a mistake and wanted their money back! It became a legal problem and they weren't successful.

I don't think a 2 level is eligible for any trial and your previous surgery might eliminate you as well. In your shoes, I'd go ahead with the surgery with Dr. B in June and fight when you get home. You can then sight emergency reasons for the surgery and cost factors forced you out of this country. Doubt if it will work but always worth a try.

Even without reimbursement, your health and well being is worth the price. You can't do better than Dr. B, improving your chances of success and a pain free life.

I wish I had better news. You pay your premiums just in case you'll need costly medical care but the bottom line ( and executive's affluent lifestyles) is much more important to these companies than any individual's life.

OK, here's where my age is showing because I can't remember anything. Mark has a book in his library or you can buy it, outlining the hopefully, successful appeals process. Mark, help me out here

Good luck Jess, Dale