View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 AM

Default Post op pain

Actually, as I recall, my immediate post op pain wasn't that bad. In fact, the pain peaked at about 6-7 days post op but it was muscular pain not the old back pain, no pain at all at the disc locations. I will admit that the first 24 hours made it hard for me to feel comfortable,....it wasn't pain as much ad just not able to relax. I couldn't get into a comfortable position and I was sort of climbin the walls so to speak, more like an anxiety attack . But once they gave me Valium , I immediately calmed down and was able to feel comfortable. I really never felt pain was that bad, my muscles were just tense and sore. It's nothing you won't be able to handle. And I had 3 levels done . : )

I don't think you will have trouble working 2-4 hours a day starting at 3 -4 weeks out. Even now at 9 weeks out, 4 hours is the max of my 100% comfort range. 4-6 hours is the flare up painful danger zone. Weekend and evenings off of work are no problem, even without meds. But yea, work creates issues still.

Dr b is the man!! He will check every single nerve to make sure they are fully free and decompressed. He said this is why my surgury took so long, I had many issues causing nerve compression, i believe bone spurs , but he specifically mentionef needing time to free up my nerves, so it was more than just a discetomy and disc implantation. He was so careful and detail oriented that he spent 6.5 hours on my surgury , when it should have taken only 3 hours.

Overall, the whole surgury process wasn't that bad. I was never on "oh my god " type pain, not even close. So, no worries ; ) I'm 3 levels and am very happy with my outcome despite some mild pain issues, mostly at work. Good luck all!!

Last edited by steve55; 05-06-2009 at 02:11 AM.