View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 PM

Default Dr B's analysis

Well, I heard back from Prospine as follows:

"Regretably your x-ray newante.oyur perfect 3-months x-ray does raise major concern: The c67 ADR is tilted, and this is due to an apparent sinking of the upper plate component into the vertebral body bone. This does not have consequences for the width of your spinal canal, so no danger for the myelon – be put back at ease.

Dr. Bertagnoli recommends to correct this finding surgically now: reentering via the same approach. Removal of the ADR. Fusion of this semgnet by a zero-profile cage, which can be fixed with little titanium screws.

This would represent a estimated 1,5 h procedure, which of course he wants to do himself. This could secure an adequate position of this segment for lifetime.

The alternative of “wait-and-see” is sure out there, as you do not have relevant complaints. Yet as the vertebral bone stock within a vertebral body is spongiosa (“softer” than the endplate) further subsidence might occur. And then result in a “kink” in your cervical spine, causing pain. And which could affect the c56 position, which is at present perfectly functioning. In balancing the comparatively low effort of re-entering to this eventual course in the future, we recommend revision surgery.

Pro-spine will send you a cost-estimate for the proposed surgical plan, which of course will respect this very exceptional constellation of your case. . After reception please tell me, if you wish to be scheduled."

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.