Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Abstracts and Articles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Abstracts and Articles Discuss Results and Analysis of Compassionate Use of Lumbar Disc Replacements (4yr Follow-up) in the Main forums forums; The Spine Journal Volume 8, Issue 5, Supplement 1, September-October 2008, Pages 159S-160S Proceedings of the 23rd Annual ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 04:47 AM

Default Results and Analysis of Compassionate Use of Lumbar Disc Replacements (4yr Follow-up)

The Spine Journal
Volume 8, Issue 5, Supplement 1, September-October 2008, Pages 159S-160S
Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Meeting of the North American Spine Society, NASS 24th Annual Meeting

Results and Analysis of Compassionate Use of Lumbar Disc Replacements Up to Four Year Follow-up

Robert Tatsumi MD1, Jason Gallina MD2, L.E.A. Kanim MA, PhD2, Hyun W. Bae MD2, Michael Kropf MD2 and Rick Delamarter MD1

1The Spine Institute, Santa Monica, CA, USA
2Santa Monica, CA, USA

BACKGROUND CONTEXT: Lumbar degenerative disc disease is universal and spinal fusion has been the traditional surgical gold standard treatment for intractable pain due to degenerative disc disease. Concerns with fusion morbidity, prolonged recovery and accelerated adjacent segment degeneration have led researchers to develop motion-preserving artificial disc replacement (ADR) as alternative to fusion. ProDisc-L™ (Synthes Spine, West Chester, PA) is an ADR that has been approved by the FDA with recent prospective randomized control trial (PRCT) documented results demonstrating superior outcomes in one level ADR patients compared with circumferential fusion.

PURPOSE: To evaluate outcome and radiographic data in patients implanted because they did not meet eligibility criteria for the ProDisc-L PRCT. These patients received ProDisc-L under the compassionate use exemption by the FDA.

STUDY DESIGN/ SETTING: Prospective clinical trial evaluating patients implanted with the ProDisc-L on a compassionate use exemption with clinical and radiologic follow-up at at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and annually.

PATIENT SAMPLE: Forty patients with lumbar disc degeneration with radicular pain who were excluded from ProDisc-L RCT were offered ProDisc-L under the compassionate use exemption. Reasons for ineligibility included 3 level disc degeneration (27), severe facet arthrosis (6), prior lumbar fusion (4), >50% facet resected (1), severe central stenosis (1), and age >60 y/o (1).

OUTCOME MEASURES: Patients completed Oswestry Disability Index (ODI), Visual Analogue Scale pain (VAS-pain), Visual Analogue Scale Satisfaction (VAS-Sat) and answered the question “would you have surgery again?” at the scheduled follow-up visits.

METHODS: In addition to outcome measurements, radiographs and physical assessments were performed at each scheduled visit. Changes from pre-operative pain and disability and overall satisfaction were separately evaluated as a function of treatment using repeated measures mixed design analysis of variance.

RESULTS: Forty patients underwent ProDisc-L. The mean age was 45 years old, 52% of the patients were male, and 15% of the patients were smokers. Three patients had 1-level ProDisc-L (ADR-1), 10 patients had two-level ProDisc-L (ADR-2) and 27 patients had 3-level ProDisc-L (ADR-3). Follow up was 2–4 years . At 24 months, all patients had a significant reduction in ODI and VAS-pain scores, improved VAS-satisfaction scores and >75% of the patients stated they would definitely “have surgery again.” The ADR-3 patients had the greatest ODI improvement (25.7 points) and the ADR-1 patients had the greatest VAS pain improvement (5.3 points) and had the highest VAS-satisfaction scores (6.6cm). One patient required prothesis removal and fusion secondary to pain.

CONCLUSIONS: Patients who did not meet the strict criteria for the ProDisc-L PRCT but still received the device under the compassionate allowance were highly satisfied, had decreased pain, and had improved functional outcomes. ADR-1 patients had the highest pain relief and satisfaction scores and ADR-3 patients achieved the best improvement in disability. There was no statistical difference in outcomes scores between compassionate use ProDisc-L patients and the published RCT ProDisc-L patients. These results demonstrate “non-ideal” patients benefit from ProDisc-L and have similar functional and disability outcomes to the published RCT Pro-Disc patient cohort.

FDA DEVICE/DRUG STATUS: ProDisc-L: Investigational/Not approved.

Copyright © 2008 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 PM

Hi Justin, I dont know alot about surgery, I had 2 level neck surgery recently but read the above with interest/ Does the compamssionate criteris mean just for pain not disability?

Also see you have bilateral leg pain . I cant find your thread to post this , so admin may move this question , but can I ask you a question as you have leg pain, and are a doctor. I have bilateral intermittent buttock pain on sitting and heel pain on standing and walking. I dont have heel pain when I wear heels higher than 2" or stand on tip toes, but as I walk alot , and am not a ballerina, this isnt often. I am dont know how to find out why?

My MRI was reported on by 2 trainee radioligists who I dot trust. The said my discs were all normal, but that I had bilerateral facet legenerationL5 / S1. They also reported a facet cyst on the nerve exit of L5/S1 without obvious nerve root compression.

The 1st spinal surgeon I saw looked at the MRI and sad I had very mild disc degeneration on 2 lower levels and my facets were satisfactory but I hav a cyst of the left exit formanen on L5/S but he though it pretty irrelevant The 2nd surgeon who did my neck , I asked at the neck follow up appointment to quickly review my MRI showing the cuyst he was suprised said "wher did you get that?!!" He said he would remove it for me as it may well be causing the pain.

The thing is I have pain in both buttocks occasionally and although the left is really , really bad at times and I cant sit on it , the right does hurt too and I have developed some low lack pain not constant but pretty bad at times. I am concerned that if the pain is both sides it might not be the cyst.

Sorry to ramble just thought you might know some info or research to help me understand what is wrong with me!! I understand perfectly this is not as a professional doctor but as a fellow user of the forum who may have some helpful info for me to read and consider? many thanks Marion
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 AM

Marion, I sent you a PM.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.