Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Community Support - NSR Discuss Skiing in the Main forums forums; I used to ski every weekend for years. I always got a Boyne season pass which allowed us to go ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2009, 01:20 AM

Default Skiing

I used to ski every weekend for years. I always got a Boyne season pass which allowed us to go to every Boyne Resort in the US and Canada. Boyne is the largest family owned ski operation in the world. They own Crystal Mountain, Washington; Brighton, Utah; Big Sky, Montana, Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands in Michigan; a scenic chairlift in Gatlinburg, Tennessee; Cyprus Mountain, British Columbia; Loon Mountain, New Hampshire; Sugarloaf, Maine; Sunday River Resort, Maine; The Summit at Snowqualmie, Washington; The Inn at Bay Harbor; many Golf courses; Boyne Realty; and a Water Park. They are a class act and huge. Boyne Resorts

I absolutely loved to ski and was pretty good at it. I have not skied since 2003 as I had my accident in 2004.

I finally went skiing tonight. I skied for four hours tonight and didn't fall at all. It was like getting back on my bicycle where I didn't forget how to do it. My boots barely fit and my Atomic skis, which I bought brand new in 2002, looked old and out of date compared to my skiing friend that I went with, but I had a blast. It was $10.00 night and great fun and entertainment for $10.00. I felt stiff for several runs and very cautious but, then I relaxed and skied faster and took more risks. By the end of the evening I remembered what a fun time I used to have on the slopes. I felt like this was my one last thing that I had to get back to to have my life back from before the accident.

I appreciate all of the support from my friends here that kept telling me that skiing is possible after ADR surgery. I have cycled over 2,000 miles per season for the last two seasons after my surgery so getting back on a bicycle was not something that I ever considered not doing again. Skiing was something that I honestly thought I would never get back on them.

I have a grin from ear to ear tonight.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5