Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Community Support - NSR Discuss Anyone notice pain much worse at night? in the Main forums forums; Hi. Am going thru a bout and I noticed this. I wonder if I'm alone in this and if ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 AM

Default Anyone notice pain much worse at night?

Hi. Am going thru a bout and I noticed this. I wonder if I'm alone in this and if it's merely idiosyncratic.

I know I'm elderly in my late 50s and hmm, maybe this is a variant of "Sundowner's Syndrome".

Just checking. Y'all be well and feel better. Thanks - Allan
Old 04-13-2009, 01:56 AM

Default Yes

Hi Allan

I am in my early fifties and I feel more pain at night usually wake up in the early a.m.

I think it is because my senses are more alert, not doing any activity and my mind is more focused on the pain and nerve issues

Keeping busy helps to block out the pain.

Best of luck

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 04-13-2009, 02:54 AM

I'm nearly at the half century too, so I don't think it's the old-timers syndrome. But I also have worse back pain when laying down at night. Also, getting the right pillow configuration is vital for my neck, especially since my ADR surgery in January. I agree that being up and moving is the best, not only for the mental distraction during the day but it seems to allow better alignment vs. sleeping.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:12 PM

As you sleep at night your body relaxes and realigns itself. When you wake up in the morning and, start moving, it helps to get everything all limbered up and ready for the day. As the day wears on though, compression takes place, exerting more pressure on damaged discs. That is why pain is more intensified in the evening and towards night time.

When I had my first laminectomy, on my neck, in 1995, I always woke up feeling well and loosened up. By the night time I was in near tears because, gravity and compression made the nerves get stomped on much worse, causing intense pain.

So I do not think this is old-timer's disease, just gravity exerting it's pressure on us as the day wears on.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 AM

Thanks for your input. Makes perfect sense.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Allen Blackburn View Post
As you sleep at night your body relaxes and realigns itself. When you wake up in the morning and, start moving, it helps to get everything all limbered up and ready for the day. As the day wears on though, compression takes place, exerting more pressure on damaged discs. That is why pain is more intensified in the evening and towards night time.

When I had my first laminectomy, on my neck, in 1995, I always woke up feeling well and loosened up. By the night time I was in near tears because, gravity and compression made the nerves get stomped on much worse, causing intense pain.

So I do not think this is old-timer's disease, just gravity exerting it's pressure on us as the day wears on.

Terry Newton
+1...Allan, I'm sorry you're experiencing increased pain. I also agree with Gil...the less active/distracted I am, the more pronounced my pain is. Good luck Allan. Are you pursuing surgical intervention again?
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 PM

Thanks Dr. J.

Never had any back surgery and kinda too poor for an ADR at L4-L5 (and nervous about that region too re: explantation).

I wish you well young man. You will truly make a great doctor (wait, you are one!). Best, Allan
Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 PM

Default Achey breaky back

Hi Allan,

Got your previous message, I'll e-mail a reply separately.

Regarding night time pain, my pain increases in the early evening up until I go to bed. I call it the evening blahs, i.e. feeling very sore, irritable, and so on. During my sleep hours, I wake up every 30 minutes to 2 hours because of the constant pain. This is going on even with pain meds and sleep meds. When I wake up in the morning, I have a hard time getting out of bed because I am so stiff and sore. Sometimes I don't get out of bed until the late afternoon because of the pain.

So after blabbing forever, I would have to say after a day of moving around, I am worse off during the late hours of the day. I think this is due to the spine moving around much more in the day, than during the sleeping hours. I also think that when a person wakes up, the spine is starting to move around again after it has been in "stable" condition all night. Thus, pain is regenerated. During the day, the spine "loosens up", pain decreases, and when the end of the day comes, the cycle starts all over again.

Keep in mind, this comes from a stubborn ol' native. Ha!

Best of luck to you, Eric
Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Thanks for your input Eric. I'm sorry that w/I saw you, you were in such pain. Too bad you can't get a good night's sleep.

When we get better, can I visit you in AK and murder some grizzly's? (Everyone needs a hobby).

Be well young man. - ans
Old 04-25-2009, 03:39 AM

Default pain

Is usually worse at night as I sit or lie around doing very little and then in the early a.m. when I first get up and until I take my pain meds. I think it's the arthritic pain that sort of gets me at both times.

Now if I've been overdoing at whatever then usually that's just a progressive pain that happens whenever and needs to be listened to at the same time. I've learned that often muscle relaxers seem to help me quite abit avoid or quell an acute flare up that might last a little longer if I didn't use anything.