Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Community Support - NSR Discuss Osteoporosis Advice in the Main forums forums; OK. The hematologist/oncologist suggested a yearly infusion of Reclast. My internist I think suggested Forteo but said that I'...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Osteoporosis Advice

OK. The hematologist/oncologist suggested a yearly infusion of Reclast. My internist I think suggested Forteo but said that I'll have to inject myself daily. My pharmacist said that this is untrue and btw, there's a generic for Forteo (or Fosomax?) [running on no sleep]. She also said that at my age of 56, there is no such thing as bone growing.

Now I'm really confused.

Is there anything I can take that will actually grow bone and increase my bone density?

Thanks.

Oh, my femoral neck's readings were 2.5 and 2.7 standard deviations from the norm and the lumbar spine looked OK - with the caveat that my extensive DDD could make these readings look better than they are in terms of osteoporosis/osteopenia.

Any help appreciated.

Allan
Old 10-03-2009, 04:34 PM

Allan,

I saw this quite awhile ago and it may have been amended by now - and it may not be appropriate for someone with back issues - but, lifting free weights has been shown to increase bone density in senior citizens. I don't remember if the amount of the weight played a part but you might want to goggle this just to investigate.

I've also read that jaw degeneration side effects for osteoporosis drugs increase with longer lasting drugs. Taking shorter acting drugs, like once weekly is not a guarantee of no side effects but the percentages are lower than once a month which is lower than yearly.

Kind of hard to imagine how lay people investigated on their own before this age of computers.

Dale
Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Allan:
I don't understand why your pharmacist said there is no bone growth in adults--they may not get longer (you don't get taller), but bone is living tissue and there is (or should be) turnover in the cells (like skin).

I have had an increase in bone density as measured by DEXA with Actonel and calcium and vitamin D supplements and my PCP said that he has patients with greater increases than mine.

I have not done the research but I too would question the effects of a once-a-year massive dose as opposed to weekly dosage. Your numbers seem to be right on the border between osteopenia and osteoporosis--I know you can be obsessive about these things (), but maybe a consult with a rheumatologist to ask about options?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Thanks Dale: if only I could weight-lift!

Barbara, thank you so much for your advice/information. I knew that I could count on you to figure the stats as they are not in t-scores. (Or are they? I'm dumb in stats).

I appreciate your update on bone growth! Why should I see a rheumatologist when I have you as my consult?

Hmm, so whaddy'a think would be the best treatment. Fosomax? (Now I wonder if there's truly a generic) or Actonel like yourself? I need ammunition before I see my internist who told me that w/one of these drugs I'd have to inject myself every day? He's smart and rarely wrong but I suspect this time, something's awry.

Wow, so I'm not in the pure osteoporosis range? Geeze, it's so unlike me to worry or catastrophize.

In appreciation oh science fair whiz.

Allan
Old 10-04-2009, 04:02 PM

Fossomax and Actonel are both in pill form; it is the Forteo that requires injection. For some reason, I re-read the patient insert for Actonel this morning and it comes in different doses for daily, weekly and twice-monthly administration. I don't know why one would be chosen over the others--but I think I would rebel against the daily dose. I am on Actonel because I was having GI problems on the Fossomax. Otherwise, I don't know if there's any advantage of one over the other. Also, from what I've gathered from other people's posts, Forteo is a different kind of medication than the biophosphanates (sp?): you take it for a couple of years and then switch to the biophosphanates.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 AM

Default re bone growth

ans,

Please the part particularly about oseoblasts/osteoclasts

FYI~ the injectable Forteo is not like drawing up a syringe of medication and injecting one's self intramuscularly. It's done with a pen system and a very small fine needle on a pen type of system and all you have to do is grasp a little roll of fat (like around the stomach) and subcutaneously inject the medication by pulling back on the base of the pen system (like the needle) and pushing this very slender tiny needle into the sub-q fat and then it's advised to count to five which I sometimes do or not and withdraw the needle.

To me the worse thing about this is remembering to do it daily and the smell of the medication which isn't bad just sometimes sticks with me for some reason.

While I googled this info it seemed to be correct,succinct and pertinent to the question asked. Read on...

Edit by mmglobal 3/15/013 following a copyright infringement complaint. I'm adding appropriate citing of source below.

The following information was excerpted from an article titled,
"How bones work — the nature of healthy bone" by Dr. Susan E. Brown, PhD
at The nature of healthy bone

Quote:
Edit 3/19/2013, removed quoted text because of copyright infringement complaint. Mark

Last edited by mmglobal; 03-20-2013 at 12:00 AM.