Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Support - NSR Discuss Just something to think about PRIORITIES in the Main forums forums; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080620/...s_iraq_funding Republican allies of President Bush provided the winning margin in a 268-...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Default Just something to think about PRIORITIES

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080620/...s_iraq_funding

Republican allies of President Bush provided the winning margin in a 268-155 vote to provide $162 billion to fund U.S. operations in Iraq and Afghanistan well into next year.

The bill would bring to more than $650 billion the amount provided by Congress for the war in Iraq since it started five years ago. Nearly $200 billion in additional funding has gone to operations in Afghanistan, according to congressional analysts.

What is 650 billion?

Simple Math:

Lets say the average spinal surgery runs $75,000. Yeah I know some will be more and some will be less. Lets just say that is an average.

650 billion would fund

650,000,000,000/75,000 = 8.6 million surgeries!

What?

And we can't fund health care? Sure the numbers are staggering. But it's a matter of priority.

650 Billion is 2,100 for every man woman and child in the USA.

Only you can decide if it's money well spent. I'm not here to create a discussion of the right or wrong aspects of war.

I'm just stating that it seems ironic that we can spend so much money destroying life when we could use that money to restore it.

PERSPECTIVE

Food Safety. The budget requests a record funding level of $1.1 billion for the Food Safety and Inspection Service. This funding will ensure that the demand for inspection is met and will allow us to build on our success in improving the safety of the food supply. USDA has been working to strengthen the scientific basis of meat, poultry and egg products inspection so the risk of exposure to any food contaminant will be even less than it is now. This includes continuing the Department's effort to increase the speed with which we can detect and respond to outbreaks of foodborne illness.

HealthSynergyRx.com

Last edited by nopain; 06-21-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:13 AM

It's not only health care. It's the priorities of the current administration. I'm not criticizing any party but what about New Orleans. Shouldn't charity begin at home? Shouldn't we be taken care of before our neighbors? It's our taxes and should be spent of us.

I'm not trying to get into a political discussion. These times are very trying but I'm so disgusted with so many things that are happening, health care is only a small part, important yes, but small.

My son served two terms in Iraq and as a mother my feelings are intensified. Perhaps disgusted is too gentle a word!
Old 06-22-2008, 03:25 PM

Default priorities

New Orleans, Mississippi, the list goes on. Stuff to do at home so to speak. I don't want to hear another politician promise to deliver on Health Care for All and not get there in that particular administration.

As the daughter of a WWII Marine Veteran I say hats off and a heartfelt and sincere thank you to those that serve our country and defend it however I've feelings/thoughts that aren't congruent with what this administration has done.

It's absurd to me that this country cannot get it together re a health care plan to serve the masses. Disgusting is a better word and too definately that's putting it gently as I cannot write what I really think without getting kicked off here.

Not making a political statement. Rather whatever I think or feel comes from my experience working in the nursing/medical field all of my career.