Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Spine problems and UTI's in the Main forums forums; A client I'm working with said something very interesting to me last week. In the years leading up to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Default Spine problems and UTI's

A client I'm working with said something very interesting to me last week. In the years leading up to her ADR surgery, she had frequent bladder and/or urinary tract infections. In six months since her ADR surgery, she's had none.

I asked Dr. Andrea Fenk-Mayer of Pro-Spine about the releationship between spine problem and UTI's. Her reply generated some very interesting discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. A F-M
She did not have a cord compression sufficient to compromise bladder emptying – residual urine in the bladder is always a core for infection. Relevant in many spine patients, but expectedly not in her
She does not think that there is a direct relationship for this patient, but the issue of cord compression with a potentially unnoticeable symptom that could cause bladder infections is something we should know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. A F-M
Might be due to changed medication - many meds alter the immune system some, many change the chemical consistency of urin (e.g. ph), and thus foster bladder infections. Which are frequent anyway in females.
... a very interesting indirect relationship between spine problems and potential UTI's

While this patient did not have spine cord compression, in the past she did have a serious lumbar herniation that might give concern for symptoms more advanced than typical sciatica. It may be the case that there was some issue that had not been adequately decompressed until her ADR surgery. It may also be the case that this all has nothing to do with her spine or treatments... but she cannot ignore the dramatic difference pre and post-op.

I'll be asking more questions about this. Next:

"If you are suffering from UTI's that may be related to spine issues... is there anything you can do to improve the situation (other than surgery?)

From the patient community... any relevant experience that may be helpful here?

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 08-24-2008 at 08:22 PM.