Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 4 days post op and feeling good! in the Main forums forums; After nine years of severe pain, seven doctors’ opinions, six back surgeries, and too many prescriptions to count I am ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Default 4 days post op and feeling good!

After nine years of severe pain, seven doctors’ opinions, six back surgeries, and too many prescriptions to count I am proud to say, I am a two level Pro-Spine lumbar survivor at a ripe old age of 35!

It has been a long road traveled and I know there may be bumps in the road to recovery ahead, but now I can travel that road without a cane and even stop and bend over to pick a flower for my wife.

I am four days out of surgery and I can honestly say I am feeling great! The incision pain and some hip fatigue that I am feeling will pass with time. Hands down, the stabbing knife in both my hips and the radiating nerve pain down my legs and the fear of never being "normal" again is gone. Thank the Lord, without Him this would not have been possible.

Following shortly will be my story. Please check back soon.

Garry Shuman
Clayton, North Carolina
2000-2007: 5 lumbar lamanectomies
2008: 2-Level, L4/5 L5/S1
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 AM

Hey Gary... and welcome to the forum... and a big congratulations on the success of your surgery. Who did your surgery?

One word of caution. You may be feeling great and take life by the horns but please take it slow. It's much better to walk shorter distances several times a day than 1 long walk and so on. Keep us posted and let us know a little more about you.

Dale
Old 09-24-2008, 02:49 PM

Default Congratulations

Gary,
Glad to hear you've had great success with surgery and hope you will continue in this manner. Please be mindful of your recent surgery and careful with overdoing

In your sig I see you had 5 lumbar discectomies.. was that on same discs or L1-L5S1? That seems to make your success even more incredible!

take good care and thank you for posting. It's always uplifting to hear when someone does really well re spine surgery. Like Dale I'm interested to know who performed your surgery.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Administrator

1:30am in Straubing... I just got back to hotel from hospital after another client's surgery. Garry and Jenna got out of the hospital today... I don't think they are internet connected yet, so I'll answer for them.

Bertagnoli did his surgery last week in Bogen. His story is truly remarkable because he did have 5 discectomies... all successful in relief for some months. I was quite worried about the potential for surgery induced radicular pain with the possiblity of so much scar tissue and collateral damage after 5 surgeries.... all at L4-5 and/or L5-S1. With these 5 prior surgeries, I think Garry's story is an important one for so many who are so far down that same road.

Here they are Tuesday night as I was leaving Bogen. Garry looks much different than he did pre-op with that grimace already being replaced by a smile. I loved the way he expressed his "fear of never being normal again." I certainly remember that!

All the best,

Mark

2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 AM

Truly remarkable and wonderful! Wishing you an uneventful recovery!
FYI, if remnants of your grimace remain as what I call "pain wrinkles," restylane works wonders!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 AM

Fantastic news. Slow and steady.

Best..
Old 09-25-2008, 11:51 PM

Default great smiles

It seems that either someone takes excellent photos on so many of Dr.Bertagnoli's patients or these surgeries really produce great relief (on those that they do)!

I am recalling myself post op on both of my discectomies here in Los Angeles and even at the ages of 36 and 38 respectively~ I'm positive I didn't have any radiant smiling going on!

Congrats Gary and continued best wishes.

Thanks for replying Mark to questions re involved discs/surgeon.