Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss WC wants to settle for 100K in the Main forums forums; edited as necessary...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Default WC wants to settle for 100K

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

It's so sad that our system puts us in these situations. I see so many people who play the WC game for years because of the percieved huge value of the future medical benefit. That truly is a big-ticket item that does have a lot of value, but only if it actually provides access to quality care. If the future medical benefit simply keeps you in a system that makes it difficult or impossible to acquire the care you need, its value is much, much less.

I'd talk to a lawyer. I would think that if they are offering 100, they'd go higher, but I don't have any feel for how much you can push.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Default re cost of surgery

edited as necessary

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 PM

That stuff makes me sick...I can't stand when a company tries to pull a fast one and then have the audacity to flash, what they think is big coin, in your face hoping the situation will go away. Kudos to you for not falling for it and keeping your wits about yourself.

The disability company has been giving me grief and tried to get me to sign some type of waiver. Only due to the simple fact that my employer will not allow me to come back to work until I am 100% and no longer on pain meds. When I asked MetLife to sign a waiver that they would be fully responsible if I were involved in any type of MVA due to my condition, they kinda changed their tune a bit.

I have the utmost respect for anyone that can stand their ground to these companies who do what ever they can to take full advantage of someone when they are down and out. Just remember how much a lawyers cut will be if you go that route.

Good luck
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to racergaldar
Default WC Forum

If this website has been helpful, here is another specifically for Worker's Comp.

Injured Workers Forum - Workers Compensation Insurance . Com
Old 11-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Default thanks for replies

I was a bundle of nerves yesterday as usual when dealing with WC. It's never failed to make me feel like I'm on a tightwire going nowhere fast ~ so I thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

Racergalder, very informative and useful website re WC topics!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 PM

Here's my soapbox...

When did this government, of, by and for the people, stop their interest in the people and cleave only onto power and money? Yes Virginia, greed makes the world go round!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 PM

well - before I was a chef I worked at a medical center and my wife is IN IT, so I can safely say that the drug seekers have really hurt the rest of us that are really bad off. I was actually not wanting to go to the "pain and back center" becasue I did not want to be in the same room as some of the strung out "non hurt" fakers that have ruined it for the honest people. I would NOT SIGN ANYTHING until you talk to an ambulance chaser - comp lawyer that can help - may be worth the hourly fee if they are going to stick it to you. Good luck
Old 11-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

I am supposed to wait until 6 months after treatment ends before I can start my settlement. I have seen alot of your posts Maria but I don't remember all your spine issues. 100,000.00 would seem small to me considering my 5 years of pain. Thats 20K a year for 3 surgeries and a crapload of spinal injections. It should at least be worth my current paycheck but really it should be doubled giving me 120,000.00 per year over 5 years and then add on a few more years to recover from this current surgery.......1 million would be a decent number. I would still give it all back to have my life back. I think 99% of the suffering people here would feel the same.

Lets say I never recover and I need meds the rest of my life. Who pays for my meds? My lawyer says they should still pay for meds. Thats different than actual treatment.

That settlement number goes up if Im still in pain after Tuesdays surgery. It's hard to put a number on constant pain over 40+ years.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshobbies View Post
Here's my soapbox...

When did this government, of, by and for the people, stop their interest in the people and cleave only onto power and money? Yes Virginia, greed makes the world go round!
Only if that part of the Gettysburg Address could be instituted within the Constitution.
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.