Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss How long does it take for the SI joint injections to give relief? in the Main forums forums; Can anyone tell me how long it takes, approximately, to get relief from the SI joint injections? I am more ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 11:33 PM

Default How long does it take for the SI joint injections to give relief?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes, approximately, to get relief from the SI joint injections? I am more than ready to have them this Friday, due to my pain levels, but have to remember it won't be instant relief.

Thanks,

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM

I'm not sure what the SI stands for; but all the injections I have had, I was told instantly to 2 weeks for relief. Unfortunately, I was one of the unfortunate one's who never got relief. I hope this helps with your pain. I don't know how you do it, with all the different pain you are dealing with. I will be praying for you!
Best Wishes,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 AM

Hi Cindylou,
Ive had S1 injections twice, sadly the first time they didnt work, but I was told that they may well not as I had severe nerve compression for a lengthened period of time. I have them again 3 months ago for nerve impingement from scar tissue after my fusion and im glad to say that they worked straight away, as soon as I got up the sciatica in both legs had gone, the injections are still keeping the nerve pain at bay 3 months on, I get twinges every now and then but no where near as painful as it was, and I hope that they hold out until after my revision surgery, as they have been a godsend this time.
I wish you the very best of luck with the injections and hope that they are a success for you.
hugs
sarah
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Most diagnostic injections include a fast acting local anesthetic that should generate immediate relief and only last for hours, plus a long acting anti-inflammatory agent that may take days to kick in and then last for days or weeks. The different interval of relief tells the doctor a lot. (Remember... I'm not a doctor... take everything I say with a huge grain of salt... yada yada yada)

Success of the diagnostic injections depend upon your pathology AND the ability to get the injectant where they want it to go. It's possible to miss and it's possible to get an accurate injection and still get a false negative because of scar tissue that keeps the injectant from flowing as anticipated.

There can also be false positives from the injectantant providing relief from a location that is not the intended target of the injection.

While they are not perfect, they CAN shed a lot of light on our problems. Goot luck CindyLou... ask the doc about what you learn here. Tell us what he says.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 AM

The SI joint is the sacroiliac joint which is at the sacrum, the base of the spine, and the ilium. It can often be an overlooked source of low back pain. Thanks for the feed back. They are going to do it under floroscopy, so I hope they hit it dead on!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 AM

Good lick with the injections CindyLou.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09