Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss I am home!!! in the Main forums forums; Hello friends! I am home, sore and bored. I am not really a movie person, but I have lost count ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 PM

Default I am home!!!

Hello friends! I am home, sore and bored. I am not really a movie person, but I have lost count of how many I have seen. My wife has been like an angel sent to help. I am sure she is really ready to get the hell away from me and back to work! I will post my surgery story over where it is supposed to be soon. I want to thank all of you for the guidance the last few months. I have had only one set back. My staples were removed yesterday and my incision came open a little. I went one day early to have an x-ray because I was starting to have some leg pain. Since I was there we decided to remove them. They sent me over to the surgeon that made the cut and moved my stuff out of the way. Well he was gone and the doctor on call was making rounds somewhere (rounds of golf probably). So, by the time I got over there, it had come open some more. Now I am taped up till Tuesday. I pray that this is good enough. I really feel uncomfortable with the the chance of infection. By the way, the x-rays looked good. He said it was alright for me to start taking an anti-inflammatory now. Seems to be working with the other meds. Again, thank you all and I will keep updating.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 AM

Congratulations and take it easy. Watch those boring movies a little or read a book? It's hard but just walking and resting would be good for now.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 AM

Good for you! I know home is just like... home. Kind of comforting as chicken soup.

I watched a lot of the discovery and history channels. Some interesting stuff that you never knew and will probably never use but I now know so little about so much.

Take it easy, Dale
Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 AM

Best of luck in healing and sanity (!) at home to you.

Netflix?

W/Regards ~ ans
Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 PM

Eastex, congratulations, and thank-you for posting. I hope you get the stitches issue resolved soon. Solitaire online??

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Butterflies tend to work just as good to hold the wound together until it closes up naturally. I ran a razor blade in to my arm, and did not want to go to the doctor, so I taped the wound myself and it healed nicely.

It is great to be home in the comforts of your own space. This helps to promote healing. My wife has been home for a few weeks now healing from her hysterectomy.

Do you enjoy soap operas?

Hang in there and keep us informed of your progress.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 AM

I got concerned about my incision and went to see the vascular surgeon yesterday. I really didn't like waiting till Tuesday, since I could see blood under the steristrips. It is sealed up and looking good. He still wants me to keep the new strips on until they start coming off. Now if this leg pain would stop, I would feel great. Thanks for the suggestions on how to kill more time. I wish I would of purchased the stuff to tie those crappie jigs now. I decided to hold off, because I wasn't sure about being able to sit. What the heck, I might as well now. I see fishing on the schedule in a few weeks. They "made" me take off for 6 weeks and I think I can get rid of the evidence from the sun in that time!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Did you describe the pain when urinating to the vascular surgeon? He's the guy who would understand potential ureter issues... If he knows about it and is not concerned, that should take some worry away.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-23-2009, 02:14 PM

Mark,
When the nerve pain started it made my leg hurt worse when I tried to urinate. That has seemed to stop now. My leg just burns real bad down the back side almost all the time. It is keeping me from sleeping. I borrowed an ambien from my mother and it let me get about 3 hours of sleep. I called the nurse this morning and left a message to tell them it is still hurting.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
Mark,
When the nerve pain started it made my leg hurt worse when I tried to urinate. That has seemed to stop now. My leg just burns real bad down the back side almost all the time. It is keeping me from sleeping. I borrowed an ambien from my mother and it let me get about 3 hours of sleep. I called the nurse this morning and left a message to tell them it is still hurting.
You could ask for either Neurontin or Lyrica to deal with the nerve pain which is quite common after this type of surgery. I have tried both but preferred the Lyrica as it tends to act more locally rather than globally like Neurontin. I ramped up to 400 mg per day and found it to be a God-send for dealing with the nasty nerve pain. The burning pain in my legs and feet kept me awake for all hours of the night and was maddening.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5