Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Need sane pain doc in LA/accepts BC in the Main forums forums; Help! I'm stuck with a monster! Would love a name of a doc who does procedures well (even S-...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 AM

Default Need sane pain doc in LA/accepts BC

Help! I'm stuck with a monster!

Would love a name of a doc who does procedures well (even S-I joint rhizotomies by the newer method than 7 needles) [asking for the world]. who is a human being, not scared of "narcotics", and "has your back".

Mine is willing to do a spinal stimulator but dislikes me for a compete misunderstanding that did not concern him, did not let me explain my side, and has not returned phone calls in over a month. He's well hated btw.

At least he gave me one rhizotomy on my left side that gave me a complete response for about one day!

Suffering...

ans
Old 05-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Alan,
Sorry I don't know any good PMs but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone in getting lousy treatment from PMs. I had good luck at the teaching hospital. A resident does the procedure but the prof is right there, and the verbal exchange is interesting and revealing. UCLA or UCI might be worth looking into. The teaching hospital also prescribed narcotics for me, which I eventually exchanged for larger dose of tramadol.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Alan,

How far are you willing to travel? My pm is in Simi Valley but is so thorough and willing to listen, I'm very confident in recommending him. If you travel mid-day, travel time would be at least an hour each way.

Dale
Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Pain Doc

I know a good one (been seeing him for 10 years) who accepts BC. He's in Tustin, however.
-Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) 2/2/07 with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 AM

Thank you all.

My tolerance is utterly ridiculous. I started on 30 mg of Avinza that at first was a blessing. Now I'm at 240 mg morphine sulfate/day. What's going to happen one year from now?

I need someone to wean me and sane and competent (who accepts peanuts from BC).

I will contact you two gems privately in the near future.

Driving far for an expert in procedures who'll listen and care is worth it.

Yours - ans
Old 05-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Default in San Diego

At both Scripps and Sharp Medical Centers there are really good PMs who accept BCBS. I will try to hook you up once I get settled if you'd like.

I think 5mg of Methadone is equal to 15mg of MS Contin so let's see how much Methadone would that be for you daily? Maybe about 80mg? That's not an unheard of dose as several friends I know take 60-70mg/day of Methadone for LBP.

Wondering if Methadone might work better for you...
Old 05-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Thank you M.

Does methadone and Suboxone stop tolerance? That would be incredible. I remember one member from another forum who took Suboxone and for breakthru med he took Oxycontin - a rather stupid drug for me as it doesn't last long. This surprised me as I thought Sub. stopped opiates from working. Am confused as usual. He also said that it had a dumbing down effect. Morpine does too according to some literature re: psychological tests/response times, etc. but I can think at 85%; I can tell I lost that "fire". Oops, too much about me.

I"m halving my dose now and eating the pain a bit as the rhizotomy kinda worked but off/on.

I'll call you when you recover and try to hunt down Terry who works in substance abuse.

Be well pain sufferers.