Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss New level of disgust with US healthcare in the Main forums forums; My wife's Prestige surgery for C5/6 has been cancelled. The surgeon told her he wanted her in the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM

Default New level of disgust with US healthcare

My wife's Prestige surgery for C5/6 has been cancelled. The surgeon told her he wanted her in the Discover trial but there was a 20% chance he's perform a fusion even though he had promised her/ us the ADR. Just yesterday he told her he didn't want to use the Prestige (after promoting it in December). He went further by berating her for not trusting his judgement. He threw a barb at both of us (mostly aimed at me) for doing to much research, as we're not doctors, we're ignorant. He told her this over the telephone as we accompany each other to our appointments. Thankfully his assistant hinted at this the day before at her pre-op exam. We were able to discuss it and she had the mindset to not be intimidated ("It's my spine, doctor. I'll be the one deciding which procedure I have!") Unfortunately this leaves her back at square one and even more distrusting of the local medical community.

She contacted the Stenum representative and we've gotten the ball rolling for surgery in Germany. She's never travelled overseas (except our Jamaica honeymon) so she's apprehensive about having major surgery out of the country (odd, she was very comfortable with me doing it. Life insurance???).

She's covered by both of our individual group policies so once we work out the logistics, she'll have the surgery first. I don't think it's a good idea for us to both be recovering at the same time, especially with Sean (2 years old).

So the journey continues. I often wonder what I'm going to do with my time once she and I get our respective disc issues resolved. We're both spending so much time with doctors, insurance and information gathering I almost forget what we used to do with our time before all of this started. Then I look at Sean and I remember .

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM

Bob,

This is ridiculous. How dare you and your wife research your own health issues and decide the treatment option / device you are both most comfortable living with for the rest of your lives.

Berating patients on the phone. Who the heck does this guy think he is??? That is unbelievable--it's not like you were questioning his surgical abilities.

I am so sorry this puts you guys back at "square one." However, this might just be a blessing in disguise.

About your wife traveling overseas for the first time: tell her that when I had my surgery in 2003 I had never been overseas and I was only 23 years old at the time. If my wife and I were able to do, anyone can do it! We actually did a lot of sightseeing and it was a great "vacation," as we were able to explore Munich and Vienna before and after surgery.

Keep your head up and keep moving forward. If you need anything, you've got my email.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Default Ditto.

Hi Bob
That is a bunch of crap,I agree with Dr J a blessing in disguise.
Sorry for the run around.
Keep moving forward
Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 02-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Thats unbelievable.

I'm sorry for your troubles.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family while you travel overseas.

Good Luck!
Dan
May 2008 - L5/S1 crumbling disk
Jul. 2008 - L5 - S1 PAINFUL Discogram VAS 10/10
Jan. 2009 - Texas Back Institute - Axiomed Clinical Trial Enrollment
Feb. 2009 - Clinical Trial Surgery - Freedom Lumbar Disc inserted - L5-S1
Old 02-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Bob,

There are good and bad people in all aspects of life but too often a doctor's ego is his downfall. I'm sorry this wrench was thrown in at the last minute but like eveyone else, it might be a blessing. My insurance company was my wrench and I too went to Germany.

I've posted often how afraid I was to go to Germany for surgery. It was a waste of my energies. However, one word of caution. The Stenum hospital may have helped a lot of people but they also have a blemished record. Especially if you have an insurance reimbursement, have you considered Dr. Bertagnoli, more commonly referred to as Dr. B?

If you go through Mark, GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR, a consultation can take place quickly and surgery may be just around the corner. Please call him if for nothing else then to investigate this possibility.

I hope you find the relief you seek, I'm just pretty skepical about Stenum.

Dale
Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM

Hello,

You only have 1 spine ..... do your research!

The Maverick's design looked strong @ the time of
my surgery.

I chose not to be fused due to my life style.

Real life #'s are yet to come out on how long the
discs will last. ( I'll let you know in about 10 yrs )

Please keep us posted!!

Todd

PS. My Doctors in Maine had me doomed before I found the Maverick. (They wanted me sitting in a wheelchair full time before they would do any surgery)

Surgery 10-19-07 ( L4-L5 Maverick disc )

For my true life story ...

go to -----> www.youtube.com

print -----> ADR surgery into the space bar

or ... http://www.maverick-disc.blogspot.com (my picture & movie updates)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Oh, Bob,

The surgeon is a bit arrogant, huh?
Hopefully, this will work out in the long run.

Runner
Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 AM

Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately this is typical for the type of treatment we've both experienced in Georgia. He's an associate professor at E**** Medical College. I guess as patients we have to fit into their level of experience and skills. Since this would have been the third Discover disc of the trial, I'm not sure what basis of experience he's drawing from.

Oh well. We all run into people like this from time to time.

In the meantime, we're going forward with plans to go to Stenum. My Employee Services group told me today that absolutely no overseas medical expenses would be covered unless I was overseas for employment or had an accident or illness while vacationing there.

So I'm going to refinance the house (if there is any equity these days), cash out the 401K (again, if there is any value left these days) and borrow the balance from relatives. Whatever it takes, we're going to get healthy again.

Also this week, my supervisor told me he was going to hold me to quota this year, raised it by 25%, smiled and told me he was tired of me taking so much time off of work. He wants me to investigate disability. I feel so sorry for him with all the trouble I've put him through.

And finally, as soon as I stepped in the door tonight, my 2 year old son met me at the door to give me a big hug. Life is great!

Thanks again for letting me vent,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 AM

Hang in there Bob. Without our health we have nothing. Karma has a way of catching up to people. I hope your supervisor eats his words some day. I see this with employees that work for me. I let them take care of their health issues. They are not going to be good employees if they are in a lot of pain to begin with.

I am very satisfied with my maverick discs and Stenum Hospital. All surgeons have good and bad outcomes. The nature of the human organism is that we take whatever baggage we bring with us to the operating table. This means our heredity, current health, co-morbid conditions, weight and fitness, etc. go with us to the operating table. I would encourage for you to keep all of this in control until the big date. If you need to talk you are more than welcome to PM me.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 AM

Bob, That sucks! I feel like just throwing my hands up and quitting some days. But then, I get some perspective (usually from my 3 and 5 year old) and realize that this is just a phase. I pray that you and your wife will both be good as new before long.
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 PM

Hang in there Bob. We must be tireless, relentless, stubborn, never give up advocates for our health. I applaud you for dusting yourself off and keeping up the fight. As Terry says, we are nothing without our GOOD health. I hope your wife/you gets your surgery date soon. We're all pulling for you.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.