Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Study of ADR failures in the Main forums forums; This was presented at the AAOS and I found the conclusions quite informative and thought it might promote some thoughtful ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Default Study of ADR failures

This was presented at the AAOS and I found the conclusions quite informative and thought it might promote some thoughtful discussion. The sample size wasn't huge (which is good when we are talking failures)

I've edited this post to point out that 46% of the failures were facet related and not 46% of the study had facet problems. This group is a subset of the I.D.E. studies. I wanted to be clear about this so no one considering ADR will think they have a 46% chance of facet problems. The study does not conclude this.

2009 Annual Meeting Information Podium Presentations Why Lumbar Artificial Disc Replacements (A.D.R.) Fail - AAOS

Of interest to me is that 46% of the failures were related to facet pathology. These patients came from I.D.E. study groups which, according to all the exclusion criteria I've seen, exclude for facet problems. Why do some people develop facet problems after implantation? Did patients with facet problems get into the study due to improper screening? I hope not though it is evident that facets seem to still present diagnostic problems. I'd like to know the screening methods for the original I.D.E. studies. There is another podium post on cervical facets concluding that MRI was not reliable in diagnosing facet problems. I'd like to see the same study for lumbar facets but I'd bet the conclusions would be similar but I'd like to see the science and not make assumptions. Did the placement cause the problems? It would be interesting if they could further research the facet failure placement with the successes for each disc and glean further info. The study also indicates the rate of success at 2 years was highest for the kineflex, then Maverick, then the charite being the least successful.

For reference, here is the presentation on cervical facet diagnosing with MRI vs. CT 2009 Annual Meeting Information Podium Presentations Comparison of MRI and CT in Predicting Facet Arthrosis in the
Cervical Spine - AAOS
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal

Last edited by johnb; 03-08-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: clarification of main point
Old 03-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Hi John
Thanks for the information,I will wait before ADR lumbar surgery
We all hope for good results and facet issues always seem to become a problem in the future

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Well, this was a subset from I.D.E. studies and the majority were successes under criteria more strict than the trial. I'm not trying to point out any negativity on ADR. My question and what I wanted to point out is, what is this mystery of why some people get facet problems and some don't. That is the million dollar question. To me, it was just thought provoking.

I'll tell ya, the AAOS website is chock full of study presentations. There was another that talked about the correlation of success with distraction and decompression for cervical ADR. Cervical ADR is doing very well, compared to lumbar according to many of the studies. There is hope for Mark's neck!!!

John
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal

Last edited by johnb; 03-08-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Nice article. I am glad that the Maverick discs are up there in the success group. I felt very confident in the design of the discs before I went to have the surgery. The Prestige and maverick discs seemed to make good sense to me.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 AM

Thank you for posting this important information. In my obsessive, anxious moments, I do worry about future facet problems but should that become an issue, I know now that a CT scan is the appropriate study.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 AM

B: Who wouldn't worry - and you're remarkably sane. Regan gave me a CT to check out my facets but I dunno how revealing this in re: facet integrity.

Thanks for this kick-butt article. Best - Allan
Old 03-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Thumbs up Trials Patient here

I think this is important to those awaiting ADR surgery
as it makes those of you aware that the surgery results
sometimes are not so favorable, and with any surgery
there is always risks, expected and unexpected. Same
reason we are all on here, we are all seeking the truth
and nothing but the truth- it's the american way
(i think that came from an old superman episode)
now i am dating myself
After a botched spinal tap where my L4/L5 disc exploded i underwent a laminectomy in 1979, and ran from spinal surgery ever since, then in 2002 i met DrDelamarter in Santa Monica- and my life as i knew it changed dramatically, I consider myself the "ProdiscPosterBoy" I am in the US Trials and one of the first in California to recieve 2 Lumbar Prodiscs, nomorepain-nomoremeds
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorepain View Post
I think this is important to those awaiting ADR surgery
as it makes those of you aware that the surgery results
sometimes are not so favorable, and with any surgery
there is always risks, expected and unexpected. Same
reason we are all on here, we are all seeking the truth
and nothing but the truth- it's the american way
(i think that came from an old superman episode)
now i am dating myself
I agree. I am going into ADR praying, hoping and being 'positive' that I will have a great outcome. At the same time, I know that it doesn't always work out that way. Some people can be the "perfect" canidate for ADR, have the best surgeon in the world, get the perfect disc, it be perfectly implanted and it not work. I know in the back of my head, that it may not work; but I am doing what I think is the best thing I can, to get better and will know, either outcome, that I did the best I could with the knowledge I had. When I started researching ADR and finding the bad outcomes, it was scary. But, instead of quitting looking into it, I dug deeper to find out more. I wanted to know the great, good, bad and ugly outcomes; so I could weigh the risks and make and educated decision. That's all any of us can do, is make the best decision we can with the knowledge we have. Getting off the soapbox now.....
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 PM

Thumbs up Go Girl

Hi Kathy
I agree with you,
We all need to do what is best for us,to regain the quality of life we so desire.
To be pain free, healthy and happy,We do it for ourselves but also for our family.
I support you 100%
I am holding on for now,little pain just some sciatica.
All the best

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1