Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Is a Three Phase Bone Scan the same as facet testing? in the Main forums forums; I found the results of a test that I forgot I had in Sept/08 that was called a Three ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Default Is a Three Phase Bone Scan the same as facet testing?

I found the results of a test that I forgot I had in Sept/08 that was called a Three Phase Bone Scan with SPECT, that said there was minimally increased uptake in the left L4 and bilateral L5 facet joints, consistent with very mild facet arthropathy. Also degenerative changes in the patella femoral joints and first MTP joints bilaterally. (Knees and ??? I'll check that later...just more interested in the facet joints)

Is this the 'normal' facet joint testing that has been mentioned here? This means I don't have enough arthritis in my facets to cause significant pain?

I am spiraling downwards here when I can't even remember getting this test It didn't hurt...I would have remembered that
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

Katie,

A bone scan is a test in which a radioactive "tracer" is injected into the bloodstream & then you more or less get a scan similar to an open C/T scan. The scan helps to evaluate bone loss like in osteoporosis.

Facet testing. The only time I have ever heard of anything like that is when a facet block is used to determine if back pain is being caused by the facet joints. This is something different than a bone scan.

I did a quick search on MTP joints & came up with metatarsophalangeal joint which if I am reading it correctly is the joint where your "big toe" meets the foot. (Sorry, I'm a paralegal & I do a lot of research....LOL)

Regarding your result of mild facet arthropathy, you may want to mention this to Dr. Bitan just to be on the safe side. I can't recall which lumbar level he is planning on doing ADR for you, but I know that if there are facet issues, it is a red flag when it comes to ADR. He may want to have a test performed to rule that out.

K
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 04-30-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks. I emailed all of these tests to Dr. Bitan early this week, along with Bone Density (which said I had the bones of someone in the early 20s...yippee...half my age ;-) ), and every other piece of medical paperwork I overturned in my files! I'm hoping since this is very mild arthritis that it won't be a problem. He was going to put the ADR in the C4/5 with fusion in the 5/6.

So it sounds like I am going to still have the facet block to see if they are causing the pain...but that should be less of a chance since the arthritis is so mild, I hope.

Thanks for the explanations...at least I know now why my big toe throbs in bad weather
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.