Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New person here with a question in the Main forums forums; Hi everyone, I stumbled onto this place while trying to find some answers about my back surgery. For a bit ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 AM

Default New person here with a question

Hi everyone, I stumbled onto this place while trying to find some answers about my back surgery. For a bit of background, my husband and I were in an accident on Feb 21/08 when I was driving our 18 wheeler and we got hit head on by another 18 wheeler. We were "okay" according to the small hospital, so basically we were able to get home and get looked at better.

After starting physio for back pain, it was discovered that I had a disk herniation at my L4/L5. They tried to treat it at physio for 6 months with me having more and more problems with my sciatic nerve, to the point that I had to use a cane and the muscles in the back of my leg stopped working.

I was recommended to a surgeon and surgery was set. I had a disk decompression on Apr 16/09.

Now here's my problem. My surgeon agrees that this is not normal, but I'm hoping I'm not the only one this has happened to. About 4 days after my staples came out I started bleeding from the incision. The ER thought it was a hematoma, but it's still bleeding. The surgeon isn't happy about it.

In the process of the bandages being constantly changed for a week my husband got a good look at my back repeatedly. This is the "not normal" part. The top and bottom of it are fine, and healing nicely, but the middle part (about 2 inches) are sunken in. It actually looks like a belly button on my back. When my hubby has to clean it to replace the bandage, he can feel my spine right under my skin. We've also noticed that the muscles aren't really where they're supposed to be. They seemed to have bunched up at the top of the scar.

I have to go see the surgeon again on Wednesday, and would like to walk in there prepared for anything. A re-surgery has been suggestion since the stitches may have popped and the muscles moved, but they're not sure.

Had anyone seen this before?

The red on the outside edges is the tattoo he sliced through. You can see the skin pulling in around the tattoo inwards. Sorry about the blood, but honestly, it's never without it right now.

Thanks everyone for your time

Physio 3 times a week until 12/30/08

L4/L5 disk herniation requiring disk decompression 04/16/09