Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Question on pain patterns in the Main forums forums; Has anyone here had nerve pain that is usually not associated with the offending disc? I ask because my herniation ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Default Question on pain patterns

Has anyone here had nerve pain that is usually not associated with the offending disc?

I ask because my herniation is at C5-6 and I have pain that is associated with the muscles that are innervated by the C6 nerve root. However I do have pain and numbness in areas that suggest other nerve roots like my pinky and ring finger going numb.

Multiple MRI's show only C5-6 with any damage.

I am thinking that other nerves are running through muscles that are in spasm from the C5-6 herniation and therefore are being compressed. However when I bring this up to a doctor, I get the "you need to be on crazy pills look".

Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Your pinky and ring finger numbness could also be from the nerves running through your elbow (I forget what they are called). I have this. I was told not to lay my arm on armrests, like in the car. And for a while I wore a brace-type thing on my elbow at night, to keep it from bending too much. I had started having weakness in that hand, but after a few months of making those changes, the weakness resolved (it is gone completely) and the numbness lessened, though I still do have some.

Just something to keep in mind. It may not be from your spine.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM

Never be afraid to talk to your doctor for fear of that 'look'. If they don't want to understand or investigate, perhaps it's time to get another doctor who will give your aches and pains the attention they're due. You're paying for his services. End of discussion!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:03 PM

Yeah I understand about not being afraid of doctors but I am at the end of my struggle. I have been battling this for over 19 months. Nothing touches the pain. I have been to doctor after doctor, even the mayo clinic and everyone keeps shrugging off this herniation. I have classic radiculopathy and myelopathy symptoms, even L'hermmites sign (a shock in the foot when I turn my head). There is no other explanation for that except spinal cord involvement.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:14 PM

'79,

It's time for another opinion. Too often doctors can't see past the end of their noses. But some do care and know that seemingly unconnected symptoms do come from the spine. Where do you live? Perhaps we can offer some suggestions.

Dale
Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 PM

I live in Louisiana, I am actually going to see an doctor tomorrow who does the Prodisc-C implants. He participated in the clinical trials. I have had another surgeon offer a Prodisc, but he is booked until June 18th. This one can do it as soon as May 21st as long as there are no complications with insurance (a whole other issue I have posted about). Hopefully this will be the start of my healing process.