Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss ADR Revsion Surgery in the Main forums forums; Hi, I've been reading the pages on this forum like a man possesed for the past 24 hours since ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM

Default ADR Revsion Surgery

Hi,
I've been reading the pages on this forum like a man possesed for the past 24 hours since I found this website and am wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice if possible.
It's coming up to six years since my L5/S1 ADR surgery and all is, luckily, still well. Even though I still get twinges 3/4 times a year, I'm still more pain-free than I was pre-surgery.
The only thing which does worry me from time to time is that, although things are good at the moment (and hopefully for years to come), ADR's can, and sometimes do, fail over time. I know there are articles on the internet regarding the revision of ADR surgery, both posterior fusion with the ADR in situ, and also recovery surgery of the disc coupled with fusion (which I have read is full of realistic risks), but these articles are very "medical" and are rarely from the actual people involved in the surgery.
I have read comments on here which say that the L5/S1 cannot be recovered laterally, so if not, is it safe to perform an anterior recovery?
How many people have had an SB Charite recovered form L5/S1?
Any of your comments would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Andy, most of the revisions are the result of a poor configuration. If you are still better than prep-op, why are you worried? Are you bad and getting worse?

The big risk of anterior revisions has to do with the great vessels being difficult to remobilize. L5-S1 is well below the bifurcation of the great vessels, so they are not in the way. While any anterior spine surgery is a big deal, retrieval at L5-S1 does not have anywhere near the risk involved at L4-5. Having said that, I've observed several explantations, including L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Hi mark,
Thanks for the reply. I am certainly in better condition than I was before my operation, so i'm not asking for advice of an immediate situation, but I am asking to at least equip myself with the best knowledge possibly "just in case".
Should anything go wrong or get worse, I can know what to do. When I had my surgery, there was no real information or reports on failures, but they seem to be a bit more widespread than I first realised.
Have you known any people to have the disc removed at that level? And have they all been successful (and fused)?
You're website truly is the best I have come across for this type of resource and I think it's an amazing job you're doing!
Thanks again,
Andy
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM

Hi Andy,

Though I realize it's always better to be prepared, I also know there is way too much in life to worry about and fret over than to do so before it becomes necessary, especially if it may never become necessary.

Additionally, the information and technology available now may not be that used both in the next year and/or distant future. The knowledge you gain now may not be applicable when you need it.

Now having said all that, questions never hurt so ask away...just don't worry about it.

Dale
Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM

Default welcome to the forum

Andy,
It's great that you found this forum and are reading it like a man possessed as there is much info here and plenty of personal experiences re ADR implant of which I'm not one. Was scheduled for two ADRs (L4/L5S1) and then several years later ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1. I chose not to have any more surgery for now.

That being said ~ CONGRATULATIONS on your success!!!! Whoohooo! That's wonderful to read and hope it long continues for you with no necessity of any other surgical intervention at that level or any other.

Good that you're interested and reading tho hope you are fully enjoying a healthy spine.

Its seems that technology changes with time as well as surgical approaches/advances and so forth so perhaps what you're reading now will all be different should there be further spinal challenges for you in the future.

Again, thanks for posting ~ a 6 year success rate sounds pretty awesome to me
Old 10-31-2009, 10:33 AM

You have a device inside of you and you're doing great which is fantastic.

Of course you want a parachute re: "what if".

Drs. Regan and Delamarter in LA have done revision surgeries. I don't know the answer re: in situ.

You can Google "artificial disc revision surgery" and enter a confusing world where people's opinions get in the way of facts.

Let this be your last needed surgery. - ans

Last edited by ans; 11-01-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 PM

Default Thanks for your messages.....

Thank you all for your replies! I completely take on board what you say Dale, I do try not to think about it too much, but the thing is it that this subject still really interests me! I suppose it comes from researching my own condition for a good few years and I still like to read about all the amazing develpoments that are being made.

I still would like to know if/hear from anyone has had there l5/s1 fused with the disc in situ, just to find out what kind of outcomes that procedure yields.

Thanks so very much for welcoming me too, I just hope that others on here have as much success as I have had, I really do.
Kind regards,
Andy