Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Question about stiffness in back in the Main forums forums; Hi everyone, You know, I am starting to wonder if the growing stiffness (and beginning to call it pain) in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Default Question about stiffness in back

Hi everyone,

You know, I am starting to wonder if the growing stiffness (and beginning to call it pain) in my back is due to all my inactivity. Initially, after surgery, I did not have any back pain whatsoever, except surgical pain. Now it seems the old demons are creeping back in. I really have been trying to ignore it, but it is really starting to bother me. I have not really been given a green light for exercise which is killing me. I am just getting stiffer and stiffer, not to mention blowing up like the Pillsbury dough boy! I am going to take myself for a short walk and see if I can begin to either break this up or shake it off. Any thoughts? I just will not know what to do if all my pain begins to really settle in. It's starting to freak me out. I have not mentioned it to my husband at all. Then I start wondering if this is just going to be my life. My new normal that will never get better and a lifetime of narcotics....
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Question

CindyLou,

Maybe you can see if you can do any home stretches? When did the surgeon say you could do any PT?
After my last surgery, I started PT at three months and the stretching really helped those stiff, tight, and sore muscles.
It is probably time to bring this to the attention of your doctor and see what he says.
It is scary to think of a life of chronic pain, hopefully, this is just post-surgical stiffness and adjustment to your new alignment.

Runner
Old 05-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Default re stiffness

CindyLou,
I think we think of past pain and when something akin to the past happens in the present we are immediately concerned it's the past back to haunt us/settle in.

It could be just that.. muscle stiffness. Sounds like you were having to be careful re your neck and maybe doing alot of guarding with musculature while protecting your cervical spine.

Just try the regular things for loosening up.. warming up, mild stretches, heat as tolerated (moist is probably best) and ice for muscle spasms if you can tolerate it.. also muscle relaxers for muscle spasms and if you were to see your doctor ask for an injection of Toradol if you can tolerate that as it might help with inflammation and muscle spasms.. (helps me quite a bit w/lumbar and cervical).

And walk as tolerated. Perhaps you need different shoes as well to help you or some kind of insert.

I hope you can *work out the kinks*.. give it some time and patience
Old 05-17-2009, 04:01 PM

Default try to be patient

Dear Cindy Lou,

Your last surgery wasn't very long ago. Have you decreased your pain medications? After my last surgery, it seemed like I was going to be almost pain free shortly after surgery. It wasn't until I started lowering the amount of pain medication I was using that I realized I still had pain if I overdid things OR if I didn't stretch regularly. I think the muscles around problem areas can get very stiff if from holding everything in place to avoid pain. If you get ok from your dr. some gentle stretching might help. How about massage? Medical insurance will often pay for massage if it is prescribed by a dr.

I hope you feel better soon!

Melody
1975-scoliosis surgery,Harrington Rods, fused T2 to L4
Felt great in 20's and 30's....late 30's started having chronic neck and lower back pain. By 40 pain worsened enough to begin seeking surgical solutions.

ADR surgery much easier recovery than fusion!
This site has been a great source of information for me! I would be happy to help anyone who has questions.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Thank-you guys very much. I haven't lowered my pain meds yet, precisely because of the existing stiffness and increased pain. Don't know if I should?? I have thought of doing massage. I think I just need to bite the bullet and schedule some. I also started doing a few small stretches on my mat, but I should call the doctor and confirm that this is approved. Plus, I really need to walk big time, so I will ask about that too. I came up to the cabin by myself for a few days to just try and sort some of this out. I'm praying this is still surgical stiffness. I need a break.
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.