Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Leaving for Europe tomorrow... in the Main forums forums; ...and I'm absolutely terrified... I know treefrog (Cathy) is already on her way... Mark...are you still there? I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 03:52 AM

Default Leaving for Europe tomorrow...

...and I'm absolutely terrified...

I know treefrog (Cathy) is already on her way...

Mark...are you still there?

I think I have everything all packed and ready, but I just KNOW that I'll forget something important! I haven't been sleeping well lately, and I'm just EXHAUSTED!!!

I guess I'm just looking for encouragement that I'm doing the right thing by going to Germany and Dr. B for a 2-level lumbar ADR...

Jess

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany
Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM

Good luck Jess!

I know you will feel better afterwards! I'm so jealous. But I'm happy for you, you are doing the right thing. I'm looking at it this way for myself. I'm going to do it, and even if it goes wrong for me, at least I tried before going on to more permenant, less "forgiving" procedures like fusion.

Discsectemy June L4/L5 2004

Discssectemy L4/L5 January 2007

MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"

May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion
Old 05-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Jess,

Of course you're terrified. We all were and we all lived through it Don't worry about forgetting anything, you can buy whatever you need over there.

Good luck, the other side is waiting

Dale
Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 PM

Default Best wishes!

Hi Jess,

It is perfectly normal to be nervous. Having surgery is a huge event in your life.....and going to another country for it adds to the excitement. You will be in good hands and good company. You have done your research and know that this is the best choice for your circumstances. Before you know it, you will be posting to let us all know how well everything went and how much your pain is reduced. We will be looking forward to hearing from you!

Hugs,

Melody
1975-scoliosis surgery,Harrington Rods, fused T2 to L4
Felt great in 20's and 30's....late 30's started having chronic neck and lower back pain. By 40 pain worsened enough to begin seeking surgical solutions.

ADR surgery much easier recovery than fusion!
This site has been a great source of information for me! I would be happy to help anyone who has questions.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:06 AM

Godspeed Jess. I will be thinking of you all the way, and watching for your messages, giving us the good news of your recovery.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 PM

Default wishing you the best!

Who wouldn't be nervous.. but it's exciting to move on in life! Wishing the absolute best for you and can't wait to hear how all goes!