Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Went to Dr Mather in Chicago... in the Main forums forums; and wow, what a difference between Doctors! Apparently the Dr I was going to doesn't know what he's ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Default Went to Dr Mather in Chicago...

and wow, what a difference between Doctors! Apparently the Dr I was going to doesn't know what he's doing... Even the staff at M&M Orthopaedics seemed to know more.

They did an x-ray as soon as I got there, and then Dr Mather came in. He told me I was not a candidate for ADR for 3 reasons:

1. Weight

2. Nerve compression

3. I have a facet joint cracked

I know the facet joint is the main reason he won't do it, and I wouldn't want to do it with everything I've researched. I'm just mad that my previous surgeon didn't pick this up.

He also said that my disc is completely collapsed and a discectomy would do nothing for me and only make it worse. I'm getting very close to bone on bone. He wants to do a fusion, which at this point I understand completely. I just wish there was another option. He wants to do the fusion with the screws and cage and instead of a full bone graph, he just takes marrow out of the hip. He said I would only be off 4-6 weeks because of that, not longer due to a bone graph healing.

I really trust this Dr, he put me at ease and since he does ADR I know he was being honost with me.

I have two more Drs to see in the next two weeks. I'm going to see what their suggestions are and how they do their fusions. Depending upon that I will make my decision on who to go to.

And for those of you that asked about him specializing in failed back surgeries, yes, he will do revisions. He has only had to do one, and didn't specify if it was his own patient or not, but will work on others who saw another Dr for the ADR.

He has only done 11 ADRs due to insurance not covering them, but I would say if he's only had one revision out of that, it's a pretty good success rate. He was talking about how difficult it can be to place them and having to make sure they are correct, so he seems pretty compitent (sp?) even though he hasn't done many.

Discsectemy June L4/L5 2004

Discssectemy L4/L5 January 2007

MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"

May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion
Old 06-22-2009, 04:25 PM

A different doctor can make a big difference. With two more consults coming up, you'll have a much clearer picture of what needs to be done. That is so much of the battle, believing in your doctors and trusting the diagnosis is correct.

Let us know what the other doctors say. If all agree, your decision will be much easier.

Look forward to hearing more. Keep up posted.

Dale
Old 06-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Went to one of my Local Dr's today

Went to the local Orthopaedic surgeon this morning. He was also better than my original surgeon.

He wants to do two level fusion though!!! He doesn't think L5-S1 can handle the L4/L5 fusion and will end up going out also.

Oh I think I forgot to mention before, the Dr in Chicago also recognized that my L5/S1 is starting to degenerate, but as long as I lose weight after my fusion I should be good.

I have gone from one disc having problems to two discs and a cracked facet joint. I have learned my lesson about getting multiple opinions, never automatically trust the first Dr you talk too!!!!

I have one more Appointment July 2nd with another surgeon. I guess this will help me decide which way to go.

In the mean time, the local surgeon today has a nerve test scheduled for me to see what kind of permenant damage I may have.

MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"

Old 06-23-2009, 05:31 PM

I am happy for you that you are finally finding answers. I hope that your nerve test will go well and you do not have any permanant damage.

Remember one of the best ways to help your body heal from nerve damage is Omega-3 fatty acids. Specifically the acids EPA/DHA. They are found in the highest concentrations in cold water fish oil. To avoid mercury contamination make sure whatever brand you choose has been molecularly distilled.
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09
Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 PM

jchebert,

I had read that in some other threads, so I will definately find some, probably at my local healthfood store.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:06 PM

I debate on posting this but - I found a WIDE variety of opinions for my own progressive spondylo & yes I was bone on bone - most were fusions - & I was todl my facets were not the best shape. I did a lidocaine injection block only at the facets they were not a pain generator or arthrtic issue for me - it was not until I saw Dr Zigler at TBI & also later his associate Blumenthal that offered me ADR instead. I then sent my info to Dr Yue who asked to send them to Dr B overseas & I sent to Stenum - Dr B even was not sure on doing a stand alone ADR but TBI & Stenum were - the reason for this was - was simple the spondylo was happening & the facets due to the lack of a disc being there & that taking up the space. Restore that & the dynamics stop - however i cant tell you how many doc's here in the USA who did ADR's refused anything but a fusion for me & it would have required a 2 level as L3L4 was already herniated above I am sure due to the load & stress of nothing being below it. I debate on telling you this as there is alot of angst in getting opinions & I know pesonally how hard it was to decide when I had so many saying fusion- however i also had bulging discs in my entire lumbar & I was afraid to start that chain reaction going. I am NOT a doc but if i may suggest - contacting TBI or overseas for a opinion - I understand how debiliating this whole thing is - trust me I have never felt that kind of pain - I also was running out of time & came very close to being a emergency 2 level fusion by whoever i got - but you have to live with this not the doc's for the rest of your lifetime. I just visited a person I used to work with - who has like me suffered with lumbar for many yr's not a spondylo but he just didnt' get the difference felt a ADR & fusion was the same basically & had a 3 level fusion. I saw him in the hospital 6 days after his surgery - he was having a harder time 6 days out than i was on my 1st day- granted he had 3 levels done but he was going to Rehab hosptial for another week maybe longer after that. His wife asked me how long it was before i was up walking I changed the subject & didn't answer her as i could not tell her I was walking the very next day around the hospital & on the 3rd day I walked 2 miles. This is long but I even had some doc's refuse to do any operation on me as they were too afraid to try to do a fusion as they said i was too far gone - so medicine is a art & it is very subjective & we are left to sift thru those opinions & try to decide - with no guarantees what maybe best for us. I do not say ADR for all & no fusions ever however your case sounded so much like mine - I just am trying to help - I am coming up in one week on 5 yr's post-op & I have not knock on wood had any need for any revisions. NOW I am finding the same varying opinions on my cervical also hurt by the same car wreck back in 94 just not as bad as the back but now the arms are going & the rest of that ball of wax & once again i am getting more opinions from doc's for fusion a 2 level maybe 3 than I am ADR - those doc's one must keep in mind while ADR trained - fusions are still what they have known longer & if they have NOT done any ADR's for spondylo's they just dont know & they are trying to be careful. For complicated cases I still remember & it is GOOD advice seek the VERY best - this came from Dr Yue who is a accomplished spine doc in his own right but back then he was honest enuf to say he didn't have the expertise for my kind of case with ADR yet. This is not intended to be negative in any way & I hope it is taken in the heart i am sending it in - my best to you honestly - it is a HARD & often lonely road - I am on it once again & family dont always understand - Jill
Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Can you be more specific about 'facet cracked'. Are they talking about a pars fracture? Have you had a bone density test? (if so, what is t-score?)
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org