Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Nova Prodisc compared to original Prodisc C ? in the Main forums forums; Have gone to the net to try to find this answer & am not finding it. I know they revised ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 08:46 PM

Default Nova Prodisc compared to original Prodisc C ?

Have gone to the net to try to find this answer & am not finding it. I know they revised the upper keels on the Nova Prodisc compared to it's former model but can anyone tell me if the polyethylene core is any different ? Is it still as hard as the 1st model is ? I am familiar with the Prodisc Lumbar & it was a bit more flexible in feel at the poly core, than the Prodisc C model I played with in a doc's office one day waiting for him to come in.
It was much harder than the lumbar's core & I was suprised as how this sample the metal barely fit over the core and how much it slopped out of the metal - now I assume once implanted this was on a vertebrae model though & was stabilized - when I noticed how much it moved out of the outer core. I then slipped off the verterbraes off the metal post so I could remove the Cervical ADR to open it up & feel the core.

Is the prodisc c nova core any softer than earlier model prodisc C ? Or is it basically the same that way. I did think perhaps they didn't have the right sized endcaps so to speak over this core perhaps.
I do like the Mobi-C & Activ -C of what I can see of them. I wonder when Activ-C will come into the USA for trials?

Thanks - Jill
Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 PM

One thing while I still dont have the question if the core itself has changed or not between the Prodisc C & the newer Prodisc C Nova - I did call to the Prodisc PAL assistance - in the USA they are still using which makes sense what was approved for FDA use when it was in the trials - it was not the newer Nova in the FDA trials but the Prodisc C with the same keels on both ends - he knows nothing about the newer Nova as that would be Europe. I asked if the keels were the same height on both ends on the one used in the USA he said yes. The newer Nova from what I understand is with the same lenght of keel on the bottom as the previous model but the top is a little shorter keels & are 2 of them I believe. But the question if the core of the newer Nova Prodisc C is any different is still unanswered as he is not familar with the Nova. But a interesting side bar is in the USA is still the original Prodisc C as the newer design is not FDA approved here only the original model that was used in the trials is being used here. It makes sense but interesting they didnt hear of the change so they cant compare the differences.

Jill