Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss NSR - Knee recovery question in the Main forums forums; Sorry about posting this in the main forum... I'll merge it with my old knee thread later. Surgery went ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Default NSR - Knee recovery question

Sorry about posting this in the main forum... I'll merge it with my old knee thread later.

Surgery went fine yesterday. I think I caught a virus before the surgery that manefested itself with severe headache and nausea... I spent the first 24 hours post-op completely miserable with whatever that was, but with ZERO knee pain.

This afternoon, as I turned 24 hours out, I began to feel human again. (In my language, that means hungry.) Unfortunately, this is the time that the knee pain came on. It's really intense and goes all the way to 9 when I move it. After I move it around a bit, it gets better, as if I've broken up whatever had it frozen and it's free again.

Post-op instructions are very sparse... only says crutches/no weight bearing for a week and start a stationary bike after 3 days.

>>> Anyone know if I'm supposed to keep it moving or still? Instructions don't kick in for a few days. I'll call docs office in the morning, but am not prepared to page anyone for this.

Mark

PS, this was just an arthroscopic meniscus tear repair.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM

Mark:
Did you get an answer from your surgeon yet?
I will probably run into my PT later and will ask him.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 PM

I'm surprised you weren't told to keep it iced. Julius had a machine that circulated ice water around his whole knee but topical is great too.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Mark,

I had two arthroscopic knee procedures so don't take this as verbatum because the last one was years ago.
RICE: Rest, ice, compression, elevation.

I think it still applies. I didn't move my knee around a lot until the swelling went down and then I started moving it.
My post-op instructions with the last one were very sparse. When things weren't going how they were supposed to, I went into PT. Even a little arthroscopic surgery leaves your muscles surrounding your knee weak. I think for at least the first week, I would do RICE.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Mark,

Hope all is well re cervical. I have had many knee surgeries for various issues. One thing that would be nice is find out exactly what they did. If there was any arthritis work (meaning debridement or microfracture) then you need to take it easier. Soemtimes they don't even tell you if it is minor. If meniscus only then the instructions seem ok. ICE and some type of minor continuos passive movemnet is very nice to reduce scarring and increase ROM.

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping
Old 07-17-2009, 08:11 PM

Didn't see my PT but spoke to a trainer who had the surgery:
He said the first few days you need to not move around much, keep the knee elevated and iced. However, he also said that he was crazy enough to be at the gym the next day testing his ROM on the EFX--but did not recommend that!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:00 PM

Hi Mark

I agree with runner RICE and a good movie or book.

How are the crutches working out ? You should get a good upper body and arm work out.

Take Care and see you on the slopes

All The Better

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Surgeon's nurse said just elevate and ice until 3rd day (tomorrow). Pain should be commensurate with amount of surgery and this is way outside the box. After 4-level cervical, I was smiling in less than a day. The pain with movement is so extreme now, I can't believe it. I feel like such a big baby, except when Zoey is around... I can manage to be stoic in front of her. I hate the "Papa, whats the matter" when she can see me in distress.

I'm taking it easy, if you can call it that. Every trip to the bathroom is quite an ordeal. I forgot how great the crutches feel against your rib cage after a couple of days. Stationary bike tomorrow feels impossible. Waaaah, waaaah, waaaah.... I'll take some cheese with my whine.

When my R knee was done in 2003, I was hopping about at a couple of days out. I remember picking up a friend at the airport and stopping to take photos for a class I was taking.... 2 days out. waaahhh, waaaah, waaaah.

moving this thread to NSR...
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM

Mark, sounds like you already got your instructions, but I thought I would just comment on the pain issue. I have had a number of surgeries on my left knee, some full blown like mcl repair/meniscus removal (back in the 70's when they didn't how how "important" the meniscus was.) and several arthroscopic debridement ones. And ironically enough, it was the arthroscopic ones that sent me over the moon in pain. I know that when bone shaving/debridement is done that the bone pain can be excruciating. Mine got so bad that my husband and neighbors carried me out to the car and took me to ER where they didn't even take my blue jeans down, but gave me a shot right through them into my butt! That and a rotator cuff repair were two of the most painful surgeries I have ever had, and we all know how many back surgeries I have had! So, no, you are NOT whining. It hurts like hell, and then some. Pain is pain dear friend. I hope you turn the corner soon. Take care.
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:57 AM

Default re the knee surgery

Mark,
My first arthroscopic knee surgery was a breeze (right knee meniscus repair) but the 2nd one for patella tendon release was a super duper nightmare to recovery from (including waking up to a long leg cast that I could only tolerate 2 weeks vs. 8 due to low back pain upon sitting with leg sticking straight out)...

So like CL I'd say each surgery is different even if arthroscopic and depends on what was done exactly and the degree of swelling/inflammation there is on the inside going on. Use ice as ordered with knee/leg elevated and I'd see how it's going before starting the pedaling...

Hope the recovery moves along nicely after the rough patch...