Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Neurontin in pain pump trial in the Main forums forums; Has anybody heard or done the trial where they are installing a pain pump in your belly fat to give ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Default Neurontin in pain pump trial

Has anybody heard or done the trial where they are installing a pain pump in your belly fat to give the spine doses of neurontin. My Pain Mgmt Doc offered this tto me yesterday. I am just not sure if I want to go this far for my nerve pain in my legs. They said if it doesn't work, they will be able to install morphine in the pump for me. The study is showing that neurontin injected straight to the spine is working better than by taking it orally. Another concern is that I take 12oo mg already and it doesn't work. I am about to be scheduled for an MRI and a EMG to see if there is any nerve damage or scar tissue from my ALIF. The positive thing is that I get the pump for free. I am just scared of being a guinea pig for this trials. They talked about a stimulator and were concerned that I may pull it with my type of work. I have a bunch of DVD's to look at from the doctor. I plan on watching them tonight.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM

1200 mg of neurontin may not be enough for your pain. I was taking 3600mg daily for 2 years and while the 1200mg did not take care of my leg pain, the 3600 did. If memory serves, I took 900mg 4 times daily - thank you my daughter-in-law for showing me how to use the reminder on my cell phone!

Before you decide on being that reluctant guina pig, you might try increasing the neurontin dosage - slowly. It's certainly worth a try before switching to morphine. A word of caution - the side effects increase with the dosage.

The nerve pain has diminished drastically, allowing me to choose meds or very managable pain. It took 2 years of pt and accupuncture as well as somewhat limited activity level but I do recommend accupuncture. That too is worth a try. Any improvement is slow but permanant. I went for 6 months, 2-3 times weekly. Then it just got too expensive.

Good luck, Dale
Old 08-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Default re neurontin pump..

hmmm, sounds interesting. Would it have less affect on my brain fog I wonder? I have to take 1800mg of neurontin daily for relief from residual problematic affect of spine surgeries. Please keep us updated
Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Eastex, I haven't tried it, but I am meeting with my pain management doc this morning to discuss a pain pump as well. Not to have neurontin installed but morphine, or something similar. I realize this is "end of road" treatment, but since being off all pain meds for a few months now, I see clearly how troubling my pain levels still are. If I gather any new information I will pass it on to you. My best to you.
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Maria,
No Brain Fog!!! I think it is Medtronics that is doing this trial. I don't have my DVD's with me right now to look at name on them. I had my MRI with contrast last night. So I am waiting on EMG now. Keep everyone updated as I know more.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Is the neurontin dispensed by the pump the same MORONTIN that we take orally. I would hope that pump delivered meds could be at a MUCH lower dose.

If anyone has any information on this... please post.

Thanks,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM

Yes, my pain management doctor explained this to me on Tuesday. The pain meds delivered through a pump or reservoir, if you will, are dispensed at approx. 300's degree less, as they go directly to the site, without going through your organs, your liver in particular which is susteptible to damage. I know I didn't say that mathmatically correct, but do you get my drift? It is way lower than taking them orally.
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.

Last edited by Cindylou; 08-06-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Cindylou, I understand how this works for pain meds that can be dispensed locally instead of systemically. However, my understanding of the anit-epileptics that are prescribed for nerve pain is that they change the way pain signals are routed or percieved. I would not have expected this to be a local phenomenon.

I'm emailing some pain docs to see what they say.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:20 AM

Oh, gotcha Mark. Sorry. I am only familiar with how morphine, etc is delivered through the pain pump locally. Let me know still what you find out. How are your knees doing? You making progress since your surgery?

Take Care!

Cindy
Old 08-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Please find out more for us Mark. My pain doc told me a lot, but I want other opinions. He told me it was a small amount and if it didn't work the pump would be there for morphine.I have my EMG this Thursday to see if there is any signs of damage. I would also like to ask everyone to add my mother to their prayer list. She is going in for spine surgery this Wednesday. She has been in a whell chair for almost a year, and I am worried about her strength for the recovery. She is using a surgeon that I didn't like his attitude. Dr Thomas Chow was the rudest surgeon that I "interviewed" with! She wasn't willing to drive 30 miles to go to Texas Spine and Joint. She has seen that I have had to go back over there a lot and it worries her. I see where she is coming from, but I am treated so well over there. Anyway, keep the Gladden family in your prayers. It has been a tough year. My surgery, My divorce from the heartless woman that left me during my recovery, And now my mother. Mark, I have DVD's on this. But, it only explains the pump stuff. There is nothing about the neurontin. I can find out the research nurses name at Texas Spine and Joint Hospital if you want.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 AM

E,

Sounds like you and your family have been put through the ringer. I'm a little surprised that your mother chose a doctor you didn't like but it is her decision. I do wish her well and hope her surgery is very successful. Sometimes life is harder, sometimes we reap the rewards. If living in the present is too difficult, look ahead, it's got to get better.

To you and your mother, my best, Dale
Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Thank you Dale. There are a lot of people in town who use him so that is where she basing her decision from. Most of them are her age (65) or older. Most of them also have second surgeries done by him too. I think it is one of those things that she thinks it will be easier dealing with someone local. I am sure he will notice me Wednesday!! If he even comes out to see the family
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator

I heard back from one pain doc. I'll try to get more as the reply just generates more questions.

To paraphrase:

"clinical trials underway... so far it looks promising." He is not involved in trial.

"it has been available for years through compounding pharmacies."

I hope to learn more... stay tuned.

Mark